Suomenlinna – Fortress in Finland, which served three states
In Finland, this fortress is also known as Sveaborg. The history of the fortress begins in the middle of the 18th century. Sea fort was located on the six different islands, which at the time belonged to the current Sweden.
After the prolonged period of the war between Sweden and Russia, the fortress went to the our Empire as part of the Grand Duchy of Finland and, accordingly, remained under the military board of Russia.
During the our government, the fortress acquired the barracks and his own church. But over time, at the end of the 19th century, the fortress lost its importance and began to come to the launch.
When the first revolutionary riots began to occur in Russia, in the fortress Suomenlinna in 1906 broke out a major rebellion. But he was quickly depressed.
During the First World War, the Fort defended the our Empire and proudly surrendered under the Nachis of the enemy.
At the end of the war, Finland achieved independence, and in 1918 the fortress was re-transferred to the new Finnish government. After that, for the appointment, the fortress was used only during World War II.
In 1991, Suomenlinna fortress was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Today is a popular tourist destination where about 800 people live. Most of the structures that were created in the Swedish and our period are perfectly preserved and allow you to see the fortress in all its glory.