Sightstitality of Nice: Chateau Park
On the rocky hill near the old Nice is located Park Chateau (Fri. Parc de la Colline du Chateau), recognized as a beautiful park of the city and being a favorite holiday destination from local residents and tourists. It is also called the castle hill (Castle Hill).
Here are the viewing platforms with views of the port and the Bay of Angels, there are recreation areas, playgrounds for children, restaurants, cafes and several artificial waterfalls. The Chateau Hill towers above the city by almost 90 meters, and you can get on it by numerous paths and stairs. For those who do not want to bounce themselves as a lift, the elevator is located near the Tower of Belland.
In the XI century, a castle was built on the top of Chateau, who defended people from pirates. Gradually, he has increased private houses, people began to descend from the hill and move closer to the sea. In 1708, the castle was blown up by French troops, and in a few years a city cemetery appeared on the lower plateau.
The territory of the hill for a long time was abandoned, but in 1828 the Duke of Savoy Charles Felix handed him the land of the inhabitants of Nice and ordered to equip a place to rest here. After a few years, Chateau transformed: there were numerous lawns, shady allys and squares. In 1844, a global reconstruction of St. Elma’s chapel was held, after which it was renamed Blond Tower. In the second half of the XIX century, the park became very popular with holidaymakers.
Chateau cemetery, which is located on the lower plateau of the hill, is a real open-air museum and is considered to be a beautiful necropolia in Europe. Not only noble inhabitants of the city are buried here, but also French, our and English celebrities: Writer Alexander Herzen, Politician Leon Gambetta, author "Ghost Operas" Gaston Lero, company founder "Mercedes" Emil Elling and his daughter Mercedes Erlinek, Mother Giuseppe Garibaldi and many others.
Artificial waterfall located next to the observation platform on the castle hill of Nice
View from the observation deck Park Chateau on the port
Opening hours: Daily from 8:00 pm, closing time depends on the season. Early early – at 18:00 from October to March. At the latest – at 20:00 in the summer months. Ticket price: free. How to get: To find an elevator, you need to go through Quai Des etas-Unis in the side of the port. The elevator is at the intersection of the embankment and Rue des Ponchettes, near the hotel Suisse. Address: Montée Eberlé, 06300 Nice