Sightstitality of Jerusalem: Temple of the Merry Coffin
The church of the Merry Coffin is located in the Christian quarter of the old city of Jerusalem. He stands at the site of the crucifixion and burial of Jesus Christ, as well as the subsequent ascension to heaven.
The place where it is located, was revered by the first Christians. However, the building of the first Christian temple here began to erect in the IV century on the command of the Roman Empress Elena, Mother of Emperor Konstantin, after appealing to Christianity. Over the next centuries, the temple has repeatedly destroyed and transformed by Christians, then Muslims. The current appearance of the temple belongs to 1810, when it was built almost again after a fire.
Three significant parts of the temple – this is, in fact, the temple building in Calvary, where Jesus was crucified, the chapel of the coffin of the Lord on the spot of his burial and the temple of the Resurrection.
Today, the rights to the temple area according to the status of the CVO of 1852 possess six denominations: it is Catholic, Orthodox, Armenian, Syrian, Ethiopian and Coptic Churches. Each denominations are highlighted strict hours for prayer and sector of the temple complex, in which, therefore, there are many monasteries and chapels. To comply with the equity, the keys to the temple are kept Muslims, and from the XII century, members of one family transmit them by inheritance to each other.
Every day three services are held in the temple: Night – Orthodox, Armenian – Early in the morning, and then – Catholic. Every year, the fear of fell fire is granted here for Easter.
Entrance to the temple
The roof of the chill temple of the Lord
Opening hours: from April to September daily from 05.00 to 20.00; From October to March daily from 04.30 to 19.00. Ticket price: free How to get there: Bus 43 (stop הקישלה / הפטריארכיה הארמנית On Armenian Patriarchate Road Street) and buses 3, 124, 125, 333 (stop שער יפו / יפו on Yafo Str Street.) Address: 1 Helena Str.