Sightseeing Warsaw: Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (St. Yana)
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (St. Yana) – the most ancient Catholic temple in Warsaw. The Cathedral included in the World Heritage Site Junsco is located in the old town. It was built in the style of brick gothic in 1390 and was supposed to become a tomb of medieval Polish princes.
In the XVII century, the cathedral served for coronation and was connected to the royal castle with a special corridor. In the same period, the interiors of the cathedral were decorated in the Baroque style, and the altar was decorated with a picture "Madonna with Holy John Baptist and Stanislav" Brushes Jacomo Palma Jr. After the independence of Poland, the cathedral acquired the status of the National Pantheon.
In 1939, the cathedral suffered a lot during the bombing, and in 1944, during the suppression of the Warsaw uprising, the cathedral was finally destroyed by German troops, all his interior decoration was destroyed. After the war, the estimated initial appearance of the Cathedral was restored.
Tourists may be present at the Meses passing several times a day, and visit the daily organ concerts held here during the International Organ Music Festival.
The last Polish king of Stanislav Schnislavsky is buried in the Cathedral, in the chapel of Borichko, the Holy Cross of the XVI century is kept. Also in the cathedral you can see a copy of the picture "Worship of Magi" Artist Domenico Girlandiao.