Perhaps the main attraction of Sukhum is his famous embankment. In fact, it is not a single whole, but a series of several coastal quarters, which are called Embankment Dioskurov (from the lighthouse to the street of General Dbar) and Embankment Mahadzhirov (from General Dbar Street to the mouth of the Basla River).
At the end of the XIX century, after almost complete destruction of the city during the our-Turkish war, it was a solution to equip the coastal road from the Fort in the village of Bombor to a small fortress in the village of Durand, as well as to build a new port. As a result, the seaside zone became the kernel of the new building of the city, various revenues, hotels, restaurants and residential mansions quickly appeared here, around which various architectural monuments were subsequently increased – arcade and pavilions, modern at that time hotels and fountains. Time and Georgian-Abkhaz War did not spare many of these old buildings, but the general view of the embankment is still very colorite.
Here, literally at every corner you can find some colorful construction of the beginning of the XX century. This, for example, steel column Sukhumsky lighthouse (1864 G., Interestingly, in 1877, Turkish troops, leaving the city, was taken out a lighthouse lantern, replaced by a new only in 1878.), Mansion Brothers Ksandopulu Opposite the old pier, Hotel Wolfensona, Mansion Tsiphova (now hotel and restaurant "White Parus"), dilapidated building Hotels "Abkhazia" (1935.), which is still in the same way hotel "Oriental" (1908 g.), completely rebuilt after the fire hotel "Rice" (1914 G.), Building of the Abkhaz State Drama Theater named after Samson Changba (Rebuilt after the destruction of the Second World War in 1952, restored in 2010-2012.) with Monument of the founder of Abkhaz Dramaturgia, Nearby theatre square, Decorated City Business Card – Fountain with griffins (middle xx in., In 2008, it was thoroughly restored) and Central Exhibition Hall of the Union of Artists.
Here is the complex of government buildings with the presidential residence, the Cabinet of Ministers and the Parliament of Abkhazia, as well as the famous "BRAHALOVKA", which is going to celebrate people just to relax, talk, exchange news, play chess, domino or backgammon.
On the embankment of Mahadzhirov, you can detect the remnants of the walls Sukhumi Fortress. Now the fortress is an archaeological monument, in which excavations are periodically held.
Another unique monument of the city – Castle Bagrata Located on a hill in the northeastern part of the city, above Holiday homes "Abkhazia". From the height of the spinned walls, a beautiful view of Sukhum and surroundings opens.
Below the castle, near the mouth of the bass, is the so-called Red bridge. It does not represent an architectural monument, being a simple iron construction of the construction of the beginning of the 20th century, but we read the locals as a place of organization of the first defensive border during the Georgian-Abkhaz War. Now near the Red Bridge is the residence of the President of Abkhazia.
Also in the historic center of the city are located Building of the city administration (1914 G.), Glavpottamt (1915 G.), Main Square Sukhuma – Closed Japanese Cleans Freedom Square (Former Lenin Square) with partially destroyed during the war by the building of the Cabinet of Ministers, Park of Glory – Memorial soldiers who fell during the Georgian-Abkhaz War 1992-1993., Museum of the founder of Abkhaz literature and one of the authors of Abkhaz ABC Dmitry Gulia (1974., ul. Gulia, 61), located literally in the twilight north of the north Lutheran Church of St. John (1915 G.) and Catholic Church of Saint Simone Channel (1908 g.).
But the main decoration of the district is traditionally considered Annunciation Cathedral (Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Sukhum) – The main temple of the self-proclaimed Abkhaz Orthodox Church. It was built in 1909-1915 for the means of the Greek community of the city and reconstructed in the 1980s, turning into one of the most majestic buildings of the city. The temple is kept Panteleimon’s power of the healer, as well as a number of unique icons, including Archangel Mikhail and Archangel Gabriel (XIII century). Also in this temple, the Tomb of John Zlatoust in 1990 was transferred to village team (15 km north-west of the city).
Sukhumsky Botanical Sad – The oldest complex of this kind in the Caucasus. During the war of 1992-1993, the plant’s plant collection was very much suffered, but now in the park there is something to see. Excursion regularly, you can visit the complex and independently.
Near the botanical garden is Abkhaz State Museum, founded in the 1860s. This is one of the richest historical collections of the Caucasus – there are about 100,000 unique monuments of history and culture in its collection, and concerning not only this land, but also the entire Caucasus, ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, Byzantium, African countries, Asia and Russia. The historic coverage of exhibits is also colossalen – from the archaeological finds of the era of the Mesolite and the Dormant Court Caucasus to the ancient period and our days. Of great importance also has a natural historical collection with the assembly of fossil fossils. Also open two branches of the museum – Memorial Museum "Cahochka" In the Gulripsh district and art gallery in the NovoAhon monastery.
North of the Botanical Garden on the slope of Mountain, the trapezium is located Research Institute of Experimental Pathology and Therapy (NIIEPIT) Academy of Sciences Abkhazia with Monkey nursery, Created in 1927. Now the nursery continues his scientific work, while tourists are allowed to visit its territory.
It is significant that the archaeological excavations revealed within the city a whole range of ancient fortification structures of different eras. For example, on the slopes Sukhumy Mountain (Samataa-Rhu, Mount Chernyavsky), Fragments of walls of an unidentified period (presumably VII-VIII centuries. N.NS.), encircling the city almost all over the northeastern direction. From the Eastern Okrain begins the famous Abkhaz, or Kelasur wall, which the Abkhaz themselves are deservedly called the Great.
Well, on the Sukhumy Mountain, you can see Complex of the Research Center of Spaceology and Alternative Medicine named after Ahmad Kujba, Sukhumskaya broadcashev, Dendrological Park area of about 32 hectares and Pantheon writers and public figures of Abkhazia, from the observation deck of which opens a magnificent view of the sea and the city.
In the northern part of the city (approximately 7 km from the center) there is another historical architectural object – Babeva Bridge. Nearby you can see and small (height 11 m) Blunt Bladder Buildings of 1905-1909, still working and providing the light neighboring villages, even though almost all equipment here is pre-revolutionary, German production.