Sights of St. Helena Island
Saint Helena island opened by Portuguese on May 21, 1502, on the day of the Saint of the same name, from where and got his name. In 1506, Portean’s Porteaux Navigator Opened Islands named after him. In the persistent struggle for the possession of Islands, England won the Holland and in 1659 placed on the island of St. Helena Point of supply to water and food ships and military base. Since then, the islands are a strategic support base of Great Britain in the southern part of the Atlantic.
The capital of the Islands of St. Helena and their main seaport, Jamestown was founded in 1659, when the British West Indian company built a small fortress on the shore of James Bay. Subsequently, the fort, named after the Duke of York (later James II), rummaged to the city, who fully retained his traits "Pratcher". Closed between the slopes of the mountain ranges of Jamestown still, in fact, consists of a single street stretching through a narrow valley between the edge of the sea and the eastern hills (height up to 150 m). Most of the houses in the seaside part of the city are the structures of the old fort, rebuilt these days under shopping and residential complexes. All this attaches the capital of the islands a very characteristic appearance, especially colorfully looking against the background of the ocean blue and red-brown cliffs.
The main attractions of Jamestown are the residence of the Governor of the Plisteyshn House, the St. Paul’s Cathedral (both – 3 km of the south of the city center), the set of an old customs building, which served the place of Longwood Longwood Links, where he died in 1821 (4 km west Cities), Complex Proteus House (place where in 1815 Napoleon held his first night on the island), Fort complex (built in 1659 g., Rebuilt in the 1860s), used now as the office of Government Savings Bank, Church of Cent-James (1774 g.), so-called "Jacob staircase" (1829 g.) – Long (699 steps) Lifting, binding Jamestown with a garrison platform on the Hill Ladder Hill, Mansion Wellington House (the only modern hotel island), as well as many old buildings in Gregorian-style built from volcanic blocks. Nearby from the city you can see the valley of Sein-Vley, where Napoleon Bonaparte was buried, and from the sea, Jamestown limits the ever-filled yacht parking.
Otherwise, all the sights and Jamestown, and the island itself are exhausted by natural objects. The island is a place where at least 40 disappearing plants are growing, many of which are not found anywhere in the world, and on the coast beaches there are sections of the reproduction of sea turtles and numerous colonies of seabirds, many of which arrive in these places to wintering from all over Europe.
Often called "Lonely island", Tristan Da-Kunya is one of the most remote inhabited islands on Earth (2778 km west of Cape Town and 3360 km from the nearest coast of South America). The Tristan-Da-Kunya archipelago usually includes the deserted Islands of Hoff, Insecessseble and Plantneyale, almost completely populated by birds. Only more than 300 people in one degree or another, just over 300 people mostly live, and all of them belong to the descendants of the seven of the first families of the colonists, so almost all the inhabitants of the island are surnames Glass, Green, Hagan, Lavarleallo, Retto, Rogers and Suein. The main city of the island – Edinburgh Off-Ze-Seven-Siz, Frequently called local residents just setlement ("Settlement"), – literally asked on a narrow flat line of the northwest coast. There is no airport, and the entire connection of the island with the outside world is carried out only by heat.
Tristan Da-Kunya Island is famous for one of the best lobster fishery centers in the world. Active volcanic processes still continue on the island, so most of the tourists come here are volcanologists or scuba stakes, elevated by the rich underwater world of the southern part of the Atlantic. Also many attracts Trekking on Mount Queen-Mary (2062 m), the vertex of which in the winter is covered with snow.
In 1287 km south-east of the Island of St. Helena, the island of Ascension, also received his name in honor of the day when he was opened. Officially, it is considered uninhabited, although in reality it is perhaps the most densely populated part of the Islands of St. Helena. Here are the United Aircraft British British and Air Force, used jointly by the Royal Air Force British British Air Force and Air Force, the Positioning System Station (GPS), as well as a number of other military and civil infrastructure facilities. Service personnel of these objects and is the population of the island.
Located on the west coast of the island of Ascension Town Georgetown is the capital of this bar of sushi and its only large settlement. Small in size, the town is literally focused around the Church of Centr Mary and the Exiles-Club complex, which is built on the place where the Barabs of the Royal Corps of Marine Corps of the XIX century were located. Nearby you can find a pier, an athletic stadium, a small supervisor, a masterpiece, police department, hospital and library. AND. all. The city itself is limited only by these structures and residential cities of various army services. And on the nearby hill of Cross Hill, you can find the Fort of the Victorian era with well-preserved guns of the seasons of the First World War (the most interesting thing that these guns fought, and in the second world, when an attempt to capture the island of the landing with the German submarine). On the other side of Georgetown there is another old fort, in which a small historical museum is now located.