Shopping in Israel
In each, even the smallest city of Israel there are several several supermarkets and many shops selling cosmetics, clothing, shoes, equipment and other industrial products. In major cities, such as Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Haifa, Netanya, and their suburbs there are many large shopping centers ("Canyons").
"Canyon" Combines from 30 to 100 separate clothing stores, shoes, perfumes and cosmetics, children’s goods, supermarket, network pharmacy, pet stores or plants and colors stores, bookstores, two or four stores of electronics and household appliances, several shops of jewelry, hairdressers and beauty salons, gym (sometimes pool) and entertainment complex (cinemas, attractions for children, cafes and restaurants, bowling and t. NS.).
The largest supermarket chains – "Supersal", "Mega", "Rami Levi", "Teva" (organic products stores). These supermarkets are kosher, that is, pork and other products are not sold in them, which are prohibited for use in accordance with the Jewish tradition.
Supermarkets "Tive there", "Casheet Teamy", "Manadi Rossman" not kosherne, in addition, the last two are categories "our shops", Accordingly, here you can buy different types of meat, seafood and products manufactured in the CIS.
In all supermarkets, cheese, cottage cheese, sausages and other ready meat products, halv, caviar, salads can be tried before buying. The seller will renounce a piece or give a spoon with a small amount of product of interest. If not liked, no one obliges to buy.
In all supermarkets except "Teva", You can buy household goods, and often clothes, especially large – household appliances.
Markets in Israel
Market (in Hebrew – "shousis") there is in every city. For the most part in the markets for sale food: fruits, vegetables, nuts, spices, fresh fish, marinades (olives, vegetables), cheeses, oils (olive, sesame, sunflower). Markets start working at 6:00, finish, depending on the city, at 8: 00-20: 00. On Saturday, markets are closed, on Tuesday – a shortened day of work (before lunch).
- Spices at the bazaar in Accra
- Spices at the bazaar in Accra
Although prices for products are signed, it is still possible to bargain in the markets: provided that the buyer is going to purchase a lot of goods (for example, several kilograms of apples, a few melons or watermelons, large fish), from the starting price can be reset to 10%. Prices are changing during the day (depends on the stream of buyers and the volume of the sold) – in the evening cheaper.
To attract buyers and increasing their turnover, traders often offer to buy a 2-3 kilogram of a product at a slightly lower price (for example, a kilogram of strawberries costs 4 Shekels, and for three kilograms, 10 shekels are asked).
It is allowed to try fruit, berries and nuts, of course, in reasonable limits.
When selling fish, it is first weighed entirely, then clean, it will be cleaned and cut into portions or in a different way – at the request of the buyer.
From fresh fish (grown in Israeli fishes or patted in the sea) Most often white Amur (Amur or Amur Lavevan), velia (in Hebrew – Amnon, Arabic – Musht), Storms (Kefal), Carp (Karpiyon), Kambala (Doug Sol), Dorada (Denis).
Prices: Prices in the markets for vegetables, fruits and fish are much lower than in supermarkets, and the choice is much more.
Features of behavior and communications with sellers in the market
– Sellers are always shouting – this does not mean that they swear with buyers, just with a large number of people in one way to convey information about the price and discount it is impossible. Later, such a manner speaks into habit.
– The buyer himself chooses the fruit, vegetables like him.NS. In rare cases, it usually applies to cherry or strawberries, the seller imposes berries in the box, but at the same time you can always remove mint, spoiled or unripe berries and replace them with conditioned.
– If the seller gives something to try, it does not entail a mandatory purchase in this place. It is worth passing throughout the market, because on another counter may be better and cheaper.
Souvenir and clothing markets
In tourist cities, such as Jerusalem and Acre, souvenir and dyeing bazaars, together with grocery are under one roof – in the galleries of old trade rows.
- Bazaar with souvenirs in old Jerusalem
- Traditional souvenirs in the bazaar in old Jerusalem
- Market in acbook in the old town
Owner market – ordinary home products are sold, a small selection of clothes and shoes; This product is designed to local population living within the old quarters of the city. There is no point in buying here anything in the hope that it will be cheaper: prices, as in conventional stores.
There are clothing markets in Tel Aviv ("Shuk Carmel", Near the grocery market) and Jerusalem (near the railway station "Jerusalem-Malcha") Also sell mainly products for home, dishes, linen, jewelry, knitwear and Chinese production souvenirs. Do not spend time on them, for all this can be bought at the same price at any store.
Souvenirs in the marketIn Jerusalem the basic subjects – religious image of holy places in the ceramic ware, wooden crosses, Stars of David (Jewish creed) and prayer beads, candles, icon sets from the Holy Land: three small vials with salt from the Dead Sea, the holy land and holy water in gift box. Also, tourists are actively marketed magnets, hookahs, kufii (traditional Arabic head scarf in the box, it is "arafatka"), A bale (traditional headdress, obligatory for the faithful Jews), carpets, leather bags and fabric with embroidery, etc.D. Prices for the most part are not specified.
Trading is appropriate and required, to throw off the asking price may be up to 40-50%. Even if the price and signed, pro buy 5-10 items, you can also demand a discount of 10-15%.
During bargaining should remember the following rules: Do not show a strong interest in the product ("big market, can buy elsewhere"), But do not go too far in bargaining – at a loss traders will not work. Therefore, when the trader has lowered the price to a certain level, but then agrees to trade on, and if you pretend that you go, you will not try to return, so the price mentioned is the real value of the thing.
How to avoid fraud
1. Periodically attempts to sell "Stainless" Coins of the Roman Empire, pottery or toys "of excavation" and others "history" artifacts – do not fall for the bait. True antiques are worth at least a few thousand dollars, and they are not easy to find even in antique shops. The fact that as antiques offered at the Jerusalem market, performed in-line in the neighboring Arab villages. Therefore, from such things should be abandoned immediately.
2. Often sellers are seeing tourist, offered to pay for the goods in euros or dollars ("if you’re more comfortable in dollars. ", "Take care of shekels, they still come in handy. ") – in this case, even if you are good at bargaining dropped the price, the trader will return all playing on exchange rates. Therefore, either the original asking price in dollars and traded in accordance with it, or to pay all the NIS.
3. Instead, the goods produced in Israel, tourists often try to palm off fake Chinese. Most often it comes with the purchase of ceramics: mugs, plates, vases, etc.NS. Distinguish quite simple: ceramic handmade heavy enough, the two products of the same type are not similar to each other. If you look, it is seen that the plates and the circles do not have proper circular or oval shape (there curvature). China Stamping – a bright unnatural colors, easy on weight, the same size, shape and pattern of all objects of one type. Often on the bottom or back of the product is marked in small letters "Made in China".
4. periodically dealers "lose their memory" or forget the math. Therefore, for the purchase of low cost better pay small bills or coins. Always carefully recalculate the change in front of the seller.
Shops and markets in the Palestinian territories
Most Palestinian towns and villages markets are replaced by shopping malls – everything is sold. In most cases, the prices are not listed, so you can bargain: at the price of fruits and vegetables can lose up to 15-30%, on clothes, shoes – 10-20%. In general, the price level is lower than in the rest of Israel.
What is worth buying in the PNA:
1. Coffee (shop can be found on the flavor, which is spread on the street). By the way, in such stores decided to treat the buyer of coffee.
2. Tea (black and Hibiscus) – is on sale in the shops in bulk. Chemical additives therein absent.
3. Sweets – baklava, Harissa, biscuits of various kinds, and so on.NS. You can choose from the range of assorted shops.
Important! Do not buy ready-made sets of sweets, which are exposed on display and packed in plastic wrap: so true remnants of unsold goods.
4. Olive and sesame oil, spices, marinated olives.
5. Jewelry (except gold and silver) and leather handbags handmade.
Discount stores in Israel
In Israel, a developed system of various kinds of discount and accumulative discounts. Every second Israeli in a purse there are at least three or four cards of different retail chains. Usually all discounts and savings programs are linked to bank cards and ID.
Tourists also should pay attention to the following types of discounts (and they are almost all stores, including duty free, throughout the year):
– "1 + 1", "2 + 1", "4 + 2" – pay for one (two, four) and one more thing the same or similar, to which the action, receives a gift. This is the company of several people is especially convenient when shopping trip leaves. Thus it is possible to buy clothes or shoes for the whole family: for example, under the action "1 + 1" get men and women’s jeans. They cost the same. Accordingly, it is possible to pay for women’s pants, the men get for free.
– "Buy 500, 300 Pay" – the cost of selected items is summed up, and then make a total discount up to the amount stated in the action.
– "with the purchase of 100 shekels to get the goods N 5 shekels" – product usually costs N in half to two times higher than indicated in the action. But if there are other purchases over a certain amount is greatly reduced. To use this action is appropriate provided that you are still going to buy goods in the conditional 100 shekels.
– "with the purchase of this item / product second item at half price" – in this case a discount is given on the cheapest of the selected products.
If a tourist has friends in Israel, it makes sense to ask them for a discount card at any given store. Conventional rebates and discounts on the map, by the way, are summarized.
Overstock in Israel
Small sales in large retail chains are constantly. Large sales in all stores (regardless of store size and membership of the network) are at the end of each season (ie every three months), as well as on the eve of important festivals. In this case, discounts up to 70%.
Permanently fixed dates in the local holidays there – all of them "float" In accordance with the lunar-solar Jewish calendar, so before each trip, the date of this or that event must be specified in advance. Sales start approximately for two weeks and lasts throughout the holiday.
The main holidays of Israel: Rosh Ha Shana (Jewish New Year), Sukkot is celebrated in September, Hanukkah, as a rule, falls on December, Purim – Martov holiday (sometimes at the end of February), Pesach – most often start or mid-April, Independence Day – End April – May.
Brands and brands
Many famous global brands of clothing and shoes are presented in Israel, such as Zara, Fox, Golf, Mango, American Eagle, Nike, Cat, Ecco, H&M. Their shops can be found in most "Canyons".
From local stamps you can highlight Tamnoon network – inexpensive men’s and women’s clothing, Zebra – Men’s Women’s and Children’s clothing, mostly sports, Onot, Kastro – Clothing, Togo – Shoes, Cassidi – Clothing, Delta – Linen, Mens, Women’s, Children’s Knitted Clothing, Kiwi – Children’s clothing, Shilav – Clothes for children (mostly for the smallest), strollers, baby bedding.
There are separate chains of stores "Ricochet" (presented as in "Canyon", So in the form of independent outlets) – All for tourism: Clothing (mainly columbia), shoes, backpacks, tents, hiking tiles and other accessories, sleeping bags, guidebooks (Brandt, Lonely Planet).
Multi-brand network "Mashbir" actually works on the principle of department stores (the main emphasis is clothing, cosmetics, home goods); Network H&O – clothing, shoes, cosmetics; Gali Network – Shoes.
Cosmetics from Israel
Israel is the main manufacturer and the supplier to the world cosmetics markets with salts and dirts of the Dead Sea. The most famous brands – Ahava, Dead Sea, Sea of SPA, but in fact manufacturers of such cosmetics about one and a half dozen. Cosmetics are sold in all pharmacy chains, in cosmetics stores, online "Mashbir" either in their own brand stores.
The more famous brand, the more expensive, in fact there are no special differences. Since in any store there is always a our-speaking consultant, all the necessary information about the use and composition of creams and shampoos can be obtained from him, and at the same time a small discount.
Important remark for those who are going on excursions in Jerusalem from Egypt:
One of the items of the route is to visit the Dead Sea (as a rule, the beach resort Ein-Bokek) in the early morning clock.
At this time there are only a few shops selling cosmetics "at special prices" For excursants. These are two or three times higher than those in ordinary stores and even in the shops that are open next to two or three hours later.
Despite the fact that the guide or the seller can convince you that the goods are exclusive, you should not give in to these exhortations. In the same Jerusalem, going to any pharmacy or shopping center, you buy the same much cheaper. As a last resort, on Israel, there is a Duty Free store, which also prices are significantly lower than in Ein-Bokek.
What to bring from Israel
Of course, everyone chooses for themselves what exactly to bring from Israel as souvenirs and gifts. The most popular of them:
– Cosmetics of the Dead Sea (in this case there is no risk to get a fake);
– Cheeses – local cheeses of soft varieties (bulgaria, TsFatit) have a special unique taste;
– Wines – Israeli wines are practically not represented in Russia, therefore it is worth capturing a couple of bottles with you, especially if wine is made in one of the monasteries located in the country or in Palestinian autonomy;
– hummus, olive oil and spices;
– souvenirs from Jerusalem (cross, icons, candles, ceramics);
– Jewelry. The best of these with the highest quality precious stones can be bought in stores and the exhibition center of the Israeli diamond exchange in Tel Aviv (quality is confirmed by a certificate for a specific product).