The Schengen Agreement is recognized by the United Europe most successful decision in the entire history of existence. The essence of this contract is to abolish the passport inspection and the actual refusal of the borders within the Schengen zone. At the same time, immigration checks on external borders increase.
Which countries are included in the Schengen Agreement
First delimitation. The Schengen Agreement – Just a part of the Schengen law integrated into the EU legislative system. This is a formal document in which the rules for conducting passport controls, both external and internal. Enter into a document, of course, it is impossible. But you can take it norms and join the Schengen zone.
Today, Schengen zone has 26 countries, 22 of them – Full EU participants, and the remaining 4 (Swiss Confederation, Principality of Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland) from joining the EU refused.
Country Schengen — Data for 2020:
Important! Many completely confuse EU and Schengen. These are not identical concepts. The EU is the Commonwealth of 28 States with a single currency, domestic market and trade.
Schengen border crossing rules
The short-term multiple visa category with permits foreigners to stay in Schengen up to 90 days in the half year, as well as without constraints to put routes from Poland to Austria, from Latvia to Portugal and back.
Inside the Schengen zone of borders and formalities is not available. That you are no longer in Germany, but in the Czech Republic, for example, learn exclusively on the sign on the road. All checkpoints that once performed the role of customs, closed today.
Immigration control, interrogation with addiction expects you only at the entrance to Schengen and, accordingly, on the way out of it. It should be borne in mind that the presence of a visa is not a one hundred percent guarantee of entry.
At all gearbox, be it in the sky or on Earth, you must have the following documents with you:
- foreign personality card with a semi-annual stock at the time of entry into the Schengen and two clean pages for visa marks;
- Hotel reservation, tour operator voucher, lease agreement or printing booking system (Booking, Roomguru, Hotels.com, airbnb and so on);
- Flights throughout the route, tickets to other transport;
- If you travel by car, then grab the documents on the car and the green card;
- financial guarantees;
- Medical insurance with a coverage of 30,000 euros.
Remember, in the absence of at least one document, the immigration officer has a full right not to let you in Schengen.
The origins of the Schengen Agreement
Wrong to assert that the Schengen Agreement – something out of a series of outgoing. At the time of its signing, free boundaries have already been fixed in the EU;. Just open the frontiers and write what opened – Different things. EU law in practice did not work.
That is why, on June 14, 1985, on the River Moselle, not far from the silent village of Schengen, a contract was signed on the abolition of customs formalities without binding to the EU. The initiators and the first participants in this agreement were Germany, France and Benilux.
But the Schengen arrangement has become legal force not immediately. The first 5 years, the parties could not find the points of contact. Could not figure out how to separate the EU law from Shengen. How to make it function. Project frozen.
In 1990, a new life was inhaled in the Schengen Agreement by signing the Convention on Entry into force of the Agreement. And on March 26, 1995, the project focused in Benilyux, Germany, France, Spain and Portugal, thereby forming a Schengen zone.
Dates of the entry of other participants:
- 1997 Austria and Italy;
- 2000 Greece;
- 2001 Scandinavia – Finland and Sweden, as well as Iceland and Norway;
- In 2007, the 9 countries immediately joined the Union: Poland, Hungary, Latvia, Malta, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia and the Czech Republic;
- 2008 Switzerland;
- 2011 Liechtenstein.
4 years after the creation of the Schengen zone, at a conference in Amsterdam, the norms of the Schengen Agreement were embedded in the laws of the EU. With this date, the contract is not signed, and automatically undertakes to take all the provisions and fulfill them.
Which countries of Europe are not included in Schengen
Includes in the EU, but are not a Schengen zone:
The reasons for which far from anyone can classify themselves to the Schengen zone are explained by the criteria for compliance.
So, to enter the zone, it is necessary to answer 4 parameters:
- open airspace, maintain healthy flight competition and not to impede new routes;
- promote police, help in investigations and legal proceedings, do not hide important information;
- maintain privacy and not disclose personal data to the right and left;
- clearly outline your borders, put the checkpoint and protect the territory from illegal penetration from third countries.
Romania and Bulgaria still fail to defeat corruption and bureaucracy, so these countries are not in a hurry to take into Schengen. Cyprus has been in the list of candidates for many years. Only, the last item of the government of the official Cyprus does not yet fulfill. Stumbling stone – Unrecognized Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
Exception are only Britain and Ireland. They would be happy to see in Schengen, but only the countries themselves do not want it.
Holy Vatican, Andorra, San Marino and Monaco are forced to comply with the Schengen Agreement. Otherwise, the foreign policy of dwarf states will be in a dead end. Vatican is located in the heart of Italy, in Rome. San Marino does not have external borders except Italian. Andorra is surrounded by one side of Spain, on the other – France. Monaco “Closed” French lands.
Balkan states are not included in the EU, nor in the Schengen zone:
, , , ,
- Big (Bosnia and Herzegovina),
List of autonomy separated from the EU and Schungn:
– Middle State. Left the EU back back in 1985. Despite the fact that formally, Greenland is subordinate to the Danish kingdom, it does not want to be associated with the EU under any sauce. With a Schengen visa, they are not allowed here and with Danish too. Experienced travelers argue that there is no passport examination on arrival, so how the immigration extension of the island is working in practice, it’s difficult to say. Do not enter into either the EU, nor in Schengen.
- Caribbean possessions of the Netherlands, although they take a Schengen visa as an argument for entry, but, rather, on the kindness of spiritual, since the islands are quite independent. Schengen do not recognize Aruba, Sint-Martin, Curaçao and Caribbean Netherlands.
- France’s overseas lands are also not included in the Schengen zone due to remoteness. These include Guadeloupe, Martinique, Reunion, Guiana, Mayotte, Saint-Bart, Saint-Martin, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, Wallis and Futuna, New Caledonia.
All listed areas retain their own entry rules, there are border and immigration inspection.