San Cristobal de la Laguna (San Cristobal de la Laguna)
San Cristobal de la Laguna (San Cristobal de la Laguna) or La Laguna – the city in the northern part of the island of Tenerife. Population – 148 375 people (2008). It is located in close proximity to the capital of the island – Santa Cruz de Tenerife, is connected to her tram line.
La Laguna was founded in 1496 by Conquistor Alonso de Lugo shortly after the conquest of Tenerife and so far, despite the lost capital status, is the spiritual and cultural core of the entire archipelago. Here are the first in Canar, the University and Residence of the Bishop of the province of Tenerife.
Since 1999, the city has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
San Cristobal de la Lagoon has two cores: more ancient upper city, having a spontaneously established layout; and lower city, the first ideal «Territory city», Organized in accordance with certain scientific concepts. On his wide streets and squares there are many beautiful churches, public and private buildings erected in the XVI-XVIII centuries.
First of all you should stroll through the area Plaza del Adelantado. On the north-western side of this area there will be powerful walls of ancient Women’s Monastery Santa Catalina. The angular tower with narrow viewing slits is built under the obvious influence of Islamic architecture: nuns could watch the square, remaining invisible.
Nearby is Palace Nava, which is easy to learn on a high long balcony. At one time, for representatives of the nobility, he was a public life center.
Many landmarks of La Laguna are associated with the name of its founder. The city hall is kept by the flag, under which Alonso de Lugo robbed Guangchi, and behind the main altar of the Cathedral on the main street Calle Obispo Rey Redondo is the tombstone of the Conquistador himself.
At the end of this street there is a church Nourera Señora de la Concepcion (1502 g.), announced in Spain by national heritage. In the green font this church was once baptized by the last Guangchi.
Every year in September thousand pilgrims flock to Church of Santoario del Cristo In order to honor the crucifix, created at the end of the XV century from black oak. The crucifixion of the Unknown Master was brought by Alonso de Lugo on Tenerife in 1520.
It is recommended to visit Museum of History Tenerife (San Agustin, 22) and ethnographical museum (Carretera Tacoronte-Valle Guerra, 44).