Prague (Prague) – Capital and the largest city of the Czech Republic. The city is located along both banks of the Vltava River, in the central part of the country. Population – 1 288 696 people (2011).
Prague – one of the most beautiful and richest historical and architectural attractions of European cities. After the start of market reforms, tourism turned out to be the fastest growing industry in the city. Literally over the past 10 years, Prague has turned from a little-known tourist in Europe,.
Currently, more than 20% of the economically active population of Prague (more than 120 thousand people) work in industries, one way or another related to the service of foreign and domestic tourism. The total number of tourists who visited Prague in 2010 exceeded 4.7 million. human. At the same time, it is noted that Prague far did not exhaust the potential of its development, having all the opportunities to attract much more guests.
Prague is divided into 22 administrative districts. The most interesting is the central part of the city, which includes historical districts of Prague degrees, Grads, old-place, Novaya Place, Mala Country, Visegrad and Josephs.
Administrative district of Prague (as of 2007):
The first historical information about the settlements of Slavs in modern Prague belongs to the VI century.
The beginning of the IX century – the first wooden fortifications and defensive moat. The beginning of the existence of Prague Castle.
885 – The first Christian church consecrated in honor of the Virgin Mary was built in Prague County.
In 1085, Prague became the capital of the Czech state, at the end of the same century the market square was built in the city.
In the first half of the XIII century around stone buildings in the area of the area began to build fortress walls.
1355 – Prague becomes the capital of the Sacred Roman Empire.
1541 – The strongest fire is empty by Mala-Country, Gradi and Grad. Jews accused of arson are evicted from the city (they will be allowed to return after 1560 g., but to settle only in a strictly reserved place called «ghetto»).
1584 – Emperor Rudolph II Habsburg transfers the residence of the courtyard from Vienna to Prague. The beginning of the second period of prosperity of Prague when it becomes one of the cultural and scientific centers of Europe. The population of Prague cities exceeds 60 thousand. residents.
1689 – Most Prague is destroyed by fire.
1744 – Osada Prague forces of the Penglish King Friedrich II. After the brutal three-day bombing, the city is taken by storming and ruthlessly looted. At the end of the war, the Jews are accused of treason and once again evicted from Prague.
1757 – Penglish troops again deposit Prague, already during the seven-year war, but this time the city survived.
1784 – According to Emperor Joseph II, four historical quarters are combined into a single city of Prague.
By the middle of the XIX century, Prague was a well-developed city in economically, which led a lively trade with neighbors.
After decaying in the fall of 1918, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the formation of an independent Czechoslovak Republic of Prague became its capital.
The city existed relatively calmly before the beginning of World War II in 1939.
From 1939 to 1945 – Prague Together with the remaining part of Czechoslovakia occupied by the German army
February 14, 1945 – Allied aviation causes the strongest blow to Prague for the whole war (there is a version that pilots flew out of Italy, in conditions of thick clouds, confused Prague with Dresden). During the bombardment, more than 700 people died and more than 1,200 was injured.
Prague was released on May 9, 1945 by Soviet troops during the Prague operation.
1957 – Start of construction of the Petrshina microdistrict – the first area of the mass panel residential building.
In 1960, Prague became the capital of the Czech Republic and stayed by 1993, when after the "velvet divorce" of the Czechoslovak federation became the capital of the Czech Republic. Prague has become the main place of events of Prague Spring 1968. When an attempt was made to the internal reform of the CCC, its armed suppression by the Warsaw contract forces in August 1968, and then the velvet revolution 1989.
1974 – The first line of Prague Metro is allowed. Several tens of surroundings and villages are attached to Prague, as a result of which its territory has increased almost twice and remains so so far.
To date, Prague consists of areas that were considered separate cities for a long time (old place, Novye Place, Grads, Mala Country, Vyšehrad). In the past, they not only had a different status, a system of submission, management, finance and t. D., But often and knew each other, sometimes reaching this hostilities.
The first attempt to unite Prague cities belongs to 1518 g., When the townspeople of the Old Place united with a new place, and in 1523 this event was confirmed by the Royal Decree of Louis Yaghellonan. However, after ten years, after the election of the Czech King of Ferdinand Gabsburg, the contradictions between citizens in relation to his policies led to their re-separation.
Finally, combine individual cities in Prague was managed only in 1784 during the reign of Emperor Joseph II, a known reformer. The history of Prague until 1784 is the story of each of these cities, today its quarters.
Prague has a modern airport «Ruzin» (Ruzyn&# 283;) in the area of Prague-6.
The main trains following Prague arrive at the main railway station (Praha Hlavní NáDRA&# 382;&# 237;), located in the city center.
Prague is also an important node of international road transport. The motorway is converged in it:
D1 Prague — Brno (- Bratislava) – Ostrava (- Katowice – Warsaw)
D5 Prague – Plzen (- Nuremberg)
D8 Prague – Usti-Nad Labem (- Dresden – Berlin)
D11 Prague – Gradean Crawle (it is planned to be continued to Szczecin and Olomouc).
Currently the construction of the highway is underway D3 Prague – Ceske Budejevice (- Linz).
The absence of a full-fledged district highway around Prague in conditions of repeatedly increased international transit trucks leads to an increased load on intracity communications and transport traffic jams. Incovering the ring motorway throughout its complex relief in the vicinity of Prague (the need to build several tunnels with a total length of more than 6 km) and disputes associated with land tenure is scheduled for a period not earlier than 2013.
Prague city transport includes the metro system, trams and buses.
Prague’s integrated public transport system includes sections of suburban railways inside the city, allowing you to use uniform travel documents. The development plan of Prague provides for the transformation of a fairly developed railway network to a solid system of urban rail vehicles like the Berlin S-Bahn with the construction of new stations and stopping points.
In the past (1936-1972.) Prague had a network of trolleybus lines with 11 routes, but during the construction of the metro and the development of motorization in the conditions of low prices for gasoline, their preservation was recognized as inexpedient. Recently proposed projects of its recovery have not yet found a positive response of the city’s leadership.
Bus timetable, trams and metro is present at all stops and the most important thing – all city transport is clearly held by him! So you will probably know how much you still expect. Schedule can be found on the website www.DPP.CZ. You enter a station to which you need to get and the system gives you all imaginable travel options, even with transfers. Here the most important thing is to know the name of the station to which you need to get.
Tram and bus
The city has a developed network of tram lines with a total length of 136 km. After several decades of stagnation, recently the situation changes for the better – new modern lines of the high-speed tram in the areas of Modjani and Barrands are built, there are plans for his return to Wenceslas Square and further expansion of the network in new districts.
The tram and bus network covers most of the city, many routes are diametral connecting opposite outskirts through the center. Terrestrial transport works from 4:30 to 23:30. There are night routes (night trams more than buses) connecting the center with the outskirts, covering almost the entire city (the time interval is 60 minutes).
Taxi in Prague is divided into three categories: the most expensive (those who stand and wait for their passengers), a little cheaper – a taxi that you can catch a wagging hand, and the cheapest "motors" are called by phone. On average, a mileage kilometer costs about 1.2 USD, the fare within the city does not exceed 15 USD, and to the airport – 40 USD.
In Prague there is a funicular, raising tourists to Petrshinsky Hill. It works daily from 9 am to 23:30 (from April to October) and from 9 am to 23:20 (from November to March) at intervals of traffic from 10 to 15 minutes.
There are also two ferry crossings through Vltava and a pleasure water transport is developed. It uses river trams and a variety of historical ships, including steamers.
Prague Metropolitan consists of three lines with a length of 59.3 km (57 stations) differing in letters and color. Metro works from 5:00 to 24:00, trains go with a frequency of 2-3 minutes., And on weekends – 5-10 minutes.
Green "A": Depot Hotel (Depo Hostiva&# 345;) – Daveitska (Dejvick&# 225;)
Yellow "B": black bridge (&# 268; Erný MOST) – Zlisin (ZLI&# 269;&# 237; n)
Red "C": summer (Let&# 328; any) – Guye station (H&# 225; JE)
Currently, in the preparation stage there are projects for continuing the line "A" to the airport in Ruzin and the construction of the fourth line "D", connecting the main station with the southern regions of Libush and Pister.
Tickets in Prague are valid for all types of public transport: subway, tram, bus, funicular and train within the city feature (zero tariff zone).
There are two types of short-term tickets:
1) with limited transplantation – costs 18 kroons (children’s 9) allows you to drive 20 minutes on the tram and bus in daytime without transfers, or on the metro stop 5 stops, you can transfer to another line, but by time the trip should last no more than 30 minutes.
2) with a free transplant – worth 26 kroons makes transplants on all types of public transport in Prague itself for 75 minutes and under the passage to the nearest suburb of 90 minutes with a surcharge for subsequent tariff zones. For example, if you are going to the Pyronians, after going to the metro station Opatov, you show your current ticket on the bus and pay the order of 14 kroons, (if you have a current monthly passing situation in your hands).
There are other short-term tickets for 2 hours or more, which can be bought in suburban bus tickets or suburban buses, with which you can further continue traveling through Prague during the time-specified time. There is a ticket that is purchased by sending SMS, it costs 26 kroons, but 90 minutes are valid. SMS can be sent by phone. 9020626 with DPT text and get confirmation on your phone with the start of the ticket action.
Further exist: Daily travel tickets for 100 kroons (children’s – 50), as well as profitable passengers with three-day children – 330 crowns or five-day – 500 kroons, which include the passage of an adult and a child from 6 to 15 years.
You can also buy a monthly travel pass, filling out a statement and attach one photo, you will be introduced to the PID base and give your card (5 years have been valid for the cost of 30 kroons) and travel itself for a month. At a separate cost, you can buy a ticket to students and pensioners.
"Zaiten" in Prague is better not to ride, it is punished with a fine in 500 crowns. Maybe so that the controllers are not for several days, and then begin to check everywhere. Check can be checked as all in urban vehicles, and selectively at the exit.
When entering the vehicle or in front of the metro escalator (or at the station, if the start of the trip by train), you need to proceed the coupon in the yellow apparatus (only once at the first entrance). Must be imprinted by the date, time and code of the place where you have composed of your ticket. There are no turnstiles in the subway, control is carried out inside the stations and trains.
The level of comfort and service in Prague hotels does not always correspond to the stated star. Food, as a rule, on the basis of breakfasts (not the most hearty «European» option).
The most comfortable and expensive hotels are usually located in the central regions "Prague-1" and "Prague-2". In recent years, new high-class hotels have appear and in some removal from the center.
In addition, in Prague, there are many guesthouses and hostels. Most of them are located away from the center (especially many of them in areas built up with villas and private houses), but they are in the central regions.
Prague from Russia fly:
Aeroflot from Moscow
Czech Airlines from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, Samara, Yekaterinburg
Tatarstan from Kazan and Perm
In addition, it is best to get to Prague to Prague for special offers of all sorts of European airlines, it is true to fly with docking.
All flights arrive at the airport «Ruzin», Located in Prague-6.
Another airport, receiving charter flights from Russia, is located in Pardubice. Transfer from this airport to the center of Prague takes about 2.5 hours.
In addition, trains are sent from Moscow to the capital of the Czech Republic: through Ukraine (Kyiv-Chop) – travel time 48 hours, through Belarus (Minsk – Brest – Warsaw) – 36 hours.
In Prague, it has been preserved, apparently, the world’s last operating system of urban pneumatic mail, which appeared for the first time in 1887. Unfortunately, during the flood 2002, several stations were damaged, and the system stopped working. Czech mail is going to renovate it and re-enter into action. In addition to museum-historical significance, such a system has a purely practical advantages: so, for example, a telegram or a small package with a post office in a new city can be delivered to Prague Cause for 3-5 minutes, which is significantly faster than any other type of transport, including courier service.
Bronze monument to Jan Jigzka on the hill of turns (height – 9 m, weight – 16.5 tons), opened in 1950, is now considered the third largest bronze equestrian statue in the world.
On May 17, 2007, at that time, the operating mayor of Prague Pavel Bem committed a successful climb on Everest, becoming the tenth of the Czech, who conquered the highest peak of the world.
In Prague, there lived Rabbi Yeget Lev Ben Betzalel, who, according to legend, created the most famous golem . According to legend, the golem was created on the shore of the Vltava of the four elements. The remains of the golem still lie in the attic of the Staronian Synagogue – the oldest in Europe, acting and so. It was preserved in the inviolability of a chair on which Rabbi was sitting during prayers. During excursions, the guides tell the Renaissance parable about the golem, which was developed in the works of Karl Chapeca and Gustav Miirinka.
One of the best places for shopping – Central Street Na PříKopě. There are many shops with clothing and footwear for European brands, cafes and restaurants. In this regard, also good Wenceslas Square.
Hradčany – The historic region of Prague, located on a spacious rocky hill of the left bank of the Vltava River. The name of the area has happened from the word «Hrad», What in Czech means "Castle, Fortress, fortified settlement".
Approximately the beginning of the XIX century to the western part of Prague Castle, the forest approached, through which the road to Brzynnovsky took place, and later and the Strahov monastery, and led further towards North-Western Bohemia. At this road, near Grada (on the site of modern Gradchanskaya Square) founded around 1320 Burggrav Hindack Berka their Duques, the smallest of Prague cities and the third time after older. In fact, the whole city consisted of space for market auctions and two streets.
This settlement during the Board of the Czech King Charles IV (1375) was expanded further to the west to modern Square, Loretanskaya Square and the New Light district, and also protected by the system of fortress walls (Hungry Wall). As well as nearby the city of Mala Country, Gradians became the victim of the destruction of the Gusitsky wars in 1420 and in 1541 burned out completely together with the territory of Prague Country.
After this fire, the area liberated from the previous buildings began to buy nobles and representatives of the church, the palaces in the style of Renaissance and canonical houses began to grow. The prestige of the city increased in 1598, when the Emperor Rudolph II Habsburg assigned to him the status of the "Royal City", approximately the same time (1588) refers to the structure of the building of the Gradchansky Town Hall, on the doors of which until today is the metallic "Prague elbow" – official measure The length of that time.
Until the first half of the XVIII century, the Grads from the complex of Prague region were separated by a deep artificial moat with a campaign bridge. In 1784, during the reform of Joseph II Grads, the following three cities were combined into the royal town of Prague.. Currently, Grads are part of the administrative districts of Prague 1 and Prague 6.
Pražsk (Pražský HRAD) – Fortress, located in Gradshanes on a high hill, towering over Prague. At different times, Prague Castle played and plays the role of the residence of kings, emperors and presidents. Grad remains the official residence of the head of state and is currently. Hrad is considered the largest presidential residence in the world.
Prague Castle Essentially rich in architectural, artistic and historical attractions. Architectural Dominant – Saint Vita Cathedral. There are many residential buildings in Grada, there is a gold street in it.
The emergence of Prague Castle is directly related to the fate of the first Czech Prince of the Prezhysovian dynasty, which at first only the Central Czech Republic, and later became the royal genus. Dynasty received his name by the name of the peasant Pahar Preges, who became the prince of the Czechs on the instructions of the princess Libuch.
Daily on the first yard of Grad in 12.00 passes a solemn change of guard, which is accompanied by the music of Fanfar and the transfer of the presidential standard.
Walking through Prague Grada can be completely free and free. In order to get on the gold street and inside the architectural attractions, you need to buy a ticket.
If the presidential banner is waved over Prague Grad, then the president is currently located in the Czech Republic.
St. Vita Cathedral (1344-1929) – Gothic Catholic Cathedral in Prague Country, Location of Archbishop Prague. Length of the main new Cathedral of the Cathedral of 124 meters, the height of the large southern tower 96.5 meters. On the western side, two 82-meter neo-neothic stone towers with a 10-meter round window in the form of rosettes between them. Three portals of the Cathedral of the Cathedral are richly decorated with sculptures, stone and bronze reliefs. In the cathedral there is a tomb of the Kings of Bohemia and the repository of coronation regalia.
Old Royal Palace (Starý KráLovský Palác) – Located in Prague Country (Grads). It was built at the end of the 9th century as a princely residence, but during the next fire, the wooden building burned down, and in 1135 the construction of a stone palace began.
For almost a millennium, the Royal Palace was built and rebuilt, burned and restored, absorbing the styles and directions of different eras. Today, the most obvious in the appearance of the palace are three architectural layers: Romanesque basements, gothic halls and chambers, as well as a baroque southern wing.
The most famous premises of the Royal Palace is Vladislav’s hall – the most grandiose secular construction of medieval Europe. This is truly a huge room with an area of nearly 1,000 square meters with gothic vaulted ceilings reaching a height of 13 meters. The luxurious room was created in 1500 at the destruction of King Vladislav Yagelon. The fantastic dimensions of the Vladislav Hall are explained by the fact that the king used the room not only for traditional peters and balls, but also for knightly tournaments and even markets. Especially in order to enter the hall to enter the knights on horseback, a unique staircase of riders with long steps under a small corner was created in the royal palace.
In the palace you can also see the real heating system dating from the XIV century. The residential premises of the royal residence were heated as follows: In the ceramic fireplace of the closed type, the fire was constantly burning, and the warm air on the tubes, laid inside the walls, was distributed through the neighboring rooms. Walls warmed, and the rooms became warm.
Today the president is elected at the palace, and the most significant political ceremonies of the state occur.
Golden street (Zlatá ulička) – Vintage Street Prague, located in Prague Country (Grads). A characteristic feature of the streets are dwarf two-story houses built into the arches of the former fortress wall. The street is one of the symbols of the city.
The street arose as a result of the spontaneous development of the territory of Prague Castle and was originally called Zilatotsky street (that is, a jewelry street). This name comes from gold chances that lived and worked at this place. In 1597, by decree of the Emperor Rudolph II, the space under the arches of Vladislav’s fortress wall was made available to the 24th Grad strings, which Intrusted the watchtown at the gate, as well as Kaulai prisoners. Soon the street became completely handicraft, and Prague Prague was settled on it.
Up to World War II, houses were used under housing, in one of these houses (house number 22) from 1916 to 1917, Franz Kafka worked.
Nowadays, the street is a popular tourist destination, dwarf houses are converted into souvenir shops with a variety of galleries and exposures. At the moment, for a walk on a gold street, a fee of 250 Czech crowns is charged. After 18-00, the entrance is free, however, most souvenir shops are closed by this time.
Basilica St. Jiri (Bazilika svatéHo Jiří) – The most ancient preserved building of Prague Castle (Grads). The second largest temple in Grad. Its foundation was laid in 920 by the prince of Radislav. The founder itself is buried in the Basilica, the first Czech martyr. Lyudmila, grandma. Vaclav, and many other representatives of the kind of prathrumsov. Initially, the Basilica had only one nave, but two centuries later were expanded – two nefs and two white towers were added to it. The northern tower is often called "Eva", and the South – "Adam".
Gradchanskaya Square (Hradčanské náměstí) – It is the historical center of Gradcha. Square planning has retained almost in the same form as in the middle of the XVI in. Then the townspeople houses were located around the square, but in 1541, after the fire destroyed most of the houses, the palaces of church and secular aristocracy were built in their place.
In the middle of the square stands a plaque post with the statue of the Virgin Mary and the Figures of the eight Saints – the patrons of the Czech Republic. Such pillars put in the cities at the end of Mora as a sign of gratitude to the saints for salvation and to commemorate the dead. This one was erected after the plague of 1726.
Schwarzenberg Palace (Schwarzenberský Palác) or Lobkovitsky Palace – Located in Grads and is one of the most vivid samples of Czech Renaissance architecture. It was built in 1563 and his first owner was the Burggrant of Prague Grada Yang from Lobkovitz. In the last decade of the XVI century, the genus Lobkovitsky fell into disrespects of Emperor Rudolph II, and the palace was confiscated in favor of the state.
In 1600, the palace was sold, after which he moved from hand to hand, while in 1719 he did not acquire him the nobled of schwarzenberg. New owners redesigned the palace in the style of late Baroque. Over time, the palace empty, since its owners moved closer to the Imperial Yard, to Vienna.
At the beginning of the 20th century, a military stable was located in the palace, and 1908 he was delivered to the free rental of the National Technical Museum for the exhibition device. Since 1947, the Schwarzenberg Palace began to be used under the expositions of the Military Historical Museum, and in 2000 he moved to the National Gallery.
Palace has in terms of T-shaped. Right outline below the left and connected to the fence, closing the patio.
The most remarkable details of the architecture of the Palace are facades, decorated with a sgraftho, in which the impact of the motifs of the Italian Renaissance. The facade stands out for the forward eaves with lunts, and the stepped frontton is decorated with pilasters.
On one of the chimneys of the palace there are Renaissance sundials, which are visible only from one place – from the house "Two Suns" on the street Nerudova. On both sides of the clock are the symbols of the day and night symbols – a rooster and owl. Latin inscription under the clock "NoRa Ruit" translates as "Time runs".
Tuscan Palace (Toskánský Palác) – Located in Gardechans, it was built in 1689-1691 in the style of the monumental Roman baroque on the spot, where there were several burghers and noble houses. I received my name, because until 1718 belonged to the Tuscan Dukes, whose coat of arms are still located above the portals with columns.
Palace is an impressive building with four wings, a new, symmetric solution of the facade and two towers. Attik between arbors decorated with family sculptures representing various types of arts. It is this sculptural design of Attica brings closer to the Tuscan Palace with Roman Palaces of the 17th Century.
The exclusive skill is the sculpture of Archangel Mikhail, the patron saint of the first owner of the palace, on the order of which the palace was built. The statue is on the corner of the palace. Its author is Ottavio Mosto, creating a sculpture in 1693.
Martinick Palace (Martinický Palác) – Named in honor of the owned in the early XVII in. Yaroslav Borgetes from Martinets. The Palace himself was erected in the XVI in., But the son of Borget after 1620 ordered to expand and remake him in the late renaissance style, with the result that the decor preserved to the present day.
Wall murals were found under the plaster only in 1971, during the restoration of the palace. In the times of socialism in the Martinitsky Palace, the main architectural administration of Prague was placed, and now – the main management of territorial development. In the halls of the palace quite often exhibitions are arranged.
Archbishop Palace (ArcIbiskupský Palác) – Extensive three-storey palace in the style of Late Baroque, located in Prague Country (Grads). Earlier on the site of the palace there were several medieval burghers with gardens, the first mention of which refers to the end of the 14th century. One of these houses was rebuilt at the beginning of the 16th century in the style of early Renaissance, and it was this object that became the basis of the current palace, when in the 60s of the 16th century he was received by Prague Archbishop Antonin Bar and arranged here by the Archbishop residence here.
After that, the palace was rebuilt several times and only as a result of restructuring in the style of Late Baroque in 1764-1765, it acquired its modern appearance.
Today, the palace occupies the wrong form of an extensive area and is the four wings of the main object focused around courtyards. The main facade goes towards the Gradchanskaya Square and preserved in the style of early baroque.
In general, the interiors of the palace preserved in the style of the late Baroque, the first floor premises mainly have vaults in the style of the late Renaissance or early Baroque. The premises of the second and third floors have flat ceilings trimmed with rich plaster decorations, and in the chapel of St. John the Baptist preserved the dome in the style of the late Renaissance.
Carnish Palace (Černínský Palác) – It was built in 1668-1697 by order of the Imperial Ambassador in Venice Gumbrecht Yana Chernina from Sleptitz and his son Gerzhman Chernina. Located in Gradchanas at Loretan Square not far from the Loretan monastery. The appearance of the palace is characterized by massive Rust, 32 semi-colonels and a large balcony. A beautiful garden with two loggias, greenhouses and pools is adjacent to the palace.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Jan Masarik, son of the first president of Czechoslovakia, Tomas Harrig Mazarik, died as a result of falling from the top floor of the Cinen Palace. It happened after the communist coup in the country in 1948. So no one still does not know whether it was suicide or murder.
Now in the Cinenial Palace is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Presidents, Foreign Ministers and other high-ranking officials from all over the world.
Strahovsky Monastery (Strahovský KlášTer) – Monastery in Gradchany, Monument of the Architecture of the Czech Republic. The monastery refers to the oldest monasteries of the Order of the Peremonstrant Monks.
It was founded in 1140 by Vladislav II on the initiative of the Olomouc bishop Inprich Zdik. Was originally wooden, but by 1143, stone structures in the Romanesque style were erected. After the fire of 1258, in its place were built in the ranX-style style. After that, the monastery was repeatedly subjected to restructures, while at the end of the XVII century did not approve the current view in the baroque style.
The embodiment of the Baroque Monastery carried out from 1742 to 1758 the Italian architect A.Lurago, after the monastery was in turn destroyed by French troops.
In the monastery for more than 800 years there is an impressive old library. The oldest books are dating in the middle of the XII century. The library is located in several halls.
Lauret Monastery (Prague Loret) – Buildings complex in Gradchaans, the main object of which is the Holy Hut (Santa Casa) – a copy of the hut in which Mary Mary lived on the legend with a baby in Nazareth. According to the legend, the hut was transferred by the angels in 1291 in Italy and thereby stored from the boots who captured the Holy Land.
The place where the hut was transferred to Italy, there was a loret, which is not far from Ancona. The house has always been revered, and during the baroque period, its copies were built in many European countries, including Prague. Fifty years later, this place that attracted a lot of visitors was surrounded by arcades, and later another floor was attached. Arcade decorated with floating paintings. 6 drops are located in the corners and the center of shorter sides.
On the facade of the laurea with the tower and sculptures of the four evangelists and St. Anne, the chimes are installed with a unique mechanical device with 27 bells.
The Loretanskaya Treasury is also in particular interest, where beautiful icons are stored with gold salary, decorated with sapphires, Darons of amazing beauty and other liturgical items of 16-18 centuries. The most amazing treasure is the diamond Damaria "Prague Sun", which is made of gold and silver alloy and decorated with 6,222 diamonds.
Giant Giant BRÁNA GIGANTů) – Located in Grads and are a gate typical of the era of the Habsburgs, they called the name from the images of Giantaji (the Battle of the Olympic Gigants Olympic), made and. Player’s platoon in 1770-1771 on the pillars framing the input opening on both sides.
Inside the gate are interesting sculptures of Cupids, Eagle (Symbol of the Habsburg Monarchy) and Lion (the symbol of the Bohemian Kingdom) – the works of Ignatz Platzer. The sculptures of the admiration of visitors today are copies that originals created from sandstone sensitive to atmospheric influences were replaced at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Vysehrad (VYšEhrad) – Ancient Fortress (Castle) and the historic region of Prague. Located on a hill above Vltava south of the city center. Here are – the Gothic Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul, the remains of the ancient Romanesque Basilica, Romanesque Rotunda Sv. Martin, other ancient facilities. Vyrahsek cemetery – the burial place of famous figures of the Czech Republic.
The fortress is erected in the X century. Traditionally, it is considered one of the first centers of the Czech state to the emergence of the Princely Prague Country. It was considered equal to the Prague Castle of the Royal Residence before the time of Charles IV (XIV century). 1420 taken by gusites under the command of Yana All Bug. Within the city from 1883.
On the metro leader, the metro station is located «Visegend».
Church of Saints Peter and Paul (Kostel SvatéHO PETRA A PAVLA) – Located in the historic district of Vysehrad. His gloomy neo-neutic silhouette with two stroke towers, soaring over the city, you can see almost all the corners of Prague.
According to the legend, the church was laid by the first Czech king by Mortislav II in 1070. And the king, on the occasion of such a solemn event, was specifically sent to Rome proxies to obtain a blessing for construction. In addition, the messengers were to learn the architecture and decoration of the Church of St. Peter in Rome. Dad was so flattered by the visit of ambassadors from the Czech Republic, which, together with the blessing, sent to Prague and his bishop, who laid the first stone in the foundation of the temple.
According to the same legend, the King of Visitislav II actively participated in construction: he himself carried 12 baskets from the baskets from the ground and laid 12 stones in the foundation of the temple, just as the equal to the Emperor Konstantin did once. The decoration of the temple of Saints Peter and Paul was created in the image of the interior of the Cathedral of St. Peter in Rome. However, all this magnificence in the XV century was destroyed by gusites. And since then, endless restructuring of the temple passed through all architectural styles from strict Romanesque to intricate Baroque, which ended only in 1885-1903 under the leadership of the architect Josef Mocker.
Today, the church of Saints Peter and Paul is striking not only by external greatness, but also beautiful, Vintsenovsky, a bright interior, sharply contrasting with the gloomy severity of the appearance. The temple painting is so colorful and bizarre, as it should be painting in the style of ar-nouveau, which is very distracted from spiritual concentration, intrusively forcing the parishioners carefully look at. However, the church today is indeed more museum than a religious building. From the point of view of religion, perhaps, interest is only the pearl of the collection of Emperor Rudolph II – Icon of the Virgin Mary rainy, written in 1355.
Vyšehradský hřbitov) – Located in the historic district of Vyšehrad at the Church of St. Peter and Paul. Since the 19th century, the cemetery has become the burial site of almost 600 the largest figures of Czech National Renaissance. It is a gallery of cemetery plastic and tombstones created by the best sculptors of that time. The territory of the cemetery is divided into 15 sectors.
In the eastern cemetery there is a tomb Slavin (Slavín) – the total grave of men and women, with their affairs of the Czech people. Slavin arose in 1889-1893 on the project of the architect Antonina Vila. The symbol of Slavina became the central monument with the figure of the winged genius of the Motherland.
Rotunda of St. Martin in Visegrad (Rotunda Svatého Martina) – Located in the historic district of Vyrahsend. Once probably was the parish church founded by the prince of Mortislav II in the second half of the 11th century. This is the only construction of the early Middle Ages on this place. Rotunda masonry initial. PSEVDOROVAN portal.
Mala Country (Malá Strana) – «Prague Small Grad», The historic region of Prague, located below the Gradian and connected to the core of the city of Karlovy Bridge.
Ancient houses of citizens, narrow streets, squares and gardens, as well as churches and palaces make Malu country very picturesque. Films and television commercials are often removed here.
To get into the Male Country from the Old Town, you should go to Karlov Bridge. Of the Prague Castle, Nerudova is leading here.
Certificates of the first settlements in a small country, namely, in the field of today’s bridges, and Malostran Square, belong to the first millennium. NS. In 1257, Przemysl Otakar II founded the "small town of Prague", an urban wall and fortifications were built on his order. With Carla IV, this area was significantly expanded in the southern part and ended in Petrshina, and in 1360 he was surrounded by a wall that was named "Hungry".
Since a small country was a strategically important place to protect the hail, during the Gusite Wars, it was empty several times. The enemy parties purposefully destroyed the structure so that the enemy could not find shelters in them.
In a new time, Mala Country has become a region of lush baroque palaces and foreign embassies; Until World War I, the main part of the inhabitants were Germans.
Petrshkaya Tower (PetříNská rozhledna) – Located in the historic district of Mala Country. It was built on the Prague Hill of the same name at the initiative of the Club of Czech tourists after visiting the World Exhibition in Paris in 1889, and is the similarity of the Eiffel Tower. The tower is built of metal, its weight is about 170 tons.
Construction was started on March 16, 1891, and on August 20, her solemn discovery took place. Tower height – 60 meters. After installing on it in 1953, the TV antenna tower has grown for another 20 meters. It was the first television relay station in the Czech Republic, which worked until 1998, when a new television branch was opened in Zizhkov. You can climb on the Petrshin Tower on foot, overcoming 299 steps or on elevator. From the observation deck of a tower located at an altitude of 55 meters, a magnificent panorama opens on Prague with all its attractions, picturesque hills and surroundings.
At the lower level of the tower there are a store of souvenirs and a small cafe, and on the underground level – a small museum of the literary character Yary Tsimman.
Palace’s Palace (VRTBOVSKý palác) – Located in the historic district of Mala Country, on the corner of Carmelitskaya Street and Tryzhet.
On the site of the palace in the XVI-XVII centuries. Renaissance residential buildings stood. In 1622, the Count of Seisma from the grandfather bought the Southern House, and in 1631 – North. He ordered to unite both at home, rebuilding them in late renaissance style. At the same time, a magnificent garden with vineyards appeared around the palace.
The palace with the garden switched to the grandchildren of the Count Sesia, Jan Josef In Grtbovsky, Burggraum Prague Country. He decided to rebuild the palace and a baroque garden, in which almost all buildings in the city were created at the time. In 1720 he was converted into a baroque style and preserved to this day.
In 1799, the Palace was purchased by the Imperial Advisor Jan Mayer, who ordered a new reconstruction. To engage in the restructuring of a classic style palace was entrusted to the court architect Josef Zobel. In the process of this restructuring, two new wings were added to the building – Western and South, and a front staircase was built.
In 1807, the city authorities passed the palace at the disposal of the hospital on Karlov, in possession of which he was up to 1836., after which he bought a merchant on the name Bart and turned the building in an apartment building, in which the famous Czech artist Mikolas Alesha later settled.
Since 1839, the palace passed the possession of the Widow of the merchant, Mary Barpov, who continued to rebuild and improve the building, and in the garden ordered to put two new pavilions.
In 1911-1912. The palace survived another reconstruction, as a result of which the fourth floor and attached from the outside appeared on the outside.
During World War II, the palace owned by representatives of the German administration in the Czech Republic. After the end of the war, the building was confiscated from Germans, and it became the property of the Czechoslovak Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The last restoration of the palace was held in recent decades xx.
Pritbovsky Sad – Located in the historic district of Mala Country, at the Polbovsky Palace and, unlike the building, practically did not change his appearance since the reconstruction of 1720. The slope of the garden was broken into three terraces, interconnected by stairs, riding irregularities of relief. The economic courtyard hidden a garden loggia, decorated with paintings by the work of Rainer, Brown sculptures and a plaster finish of soldity.
In the 1990s. The garden was completely restored as close to the original form. Recycled garden was opened to visit in June 1998.
The undoubted advantage of the garden complex is the unusual solution, which allows you to perceive the garden as a whole, despite the height differences and complex shape. From the upper terrace of the garden opens a magnificent view of the small country and Prague Castle. Classical music concerts are currently held in the garden loggia, and in the Gallery of the Palace – Exhibitions.
Church of the Virgin Mary Celebrant (Kostel Panny Marie Vítězné) – The first Baroque Church of Prague, built in 1613 for German Lutheran. Initially, the church was called the Church of the Holy Trinity.
After the battle on the white grief (1620), the church was transferred to carmelites, as a sign of gratitude for their victory. It was then that the church was renamed and restored to the view in which we can see it today. In 1628, Lobkovian polyksiments donated the church famous Spanish wax image of the baby Jesus.
It is believed that the baby Jesus has amazing miraculous ability to heal, as well as that it was he who defended the city from the plague and destruction in the wars all these 30 years.
Now in the church, the exhibition of gifts that the baby Jesus received during the centuries from the most famous persons in history. The exhibition consists of approximately 80 copies, and the most valuable of them is a dress made and embroidered by Maria Teresa himself.
Kampa Island Island – Island, separated from the area of Mala Country Sleeve Vltava, a small robust, nicknamed.
The first mention of the island belongs to 1169. However, the name "Camp" appeared only in 1770. In the Middle Ages, the island was covered with gardens, and in the XVII century turned into a center of pottery craft. Today, here are the most expensive hotels, luxury mansions and a marvelous park, in which the inhabitants of Prague and tourists enjoy the coolness of Vltava and the shadow of the powerful trees.
On the island there are many mansions of the early XVII century, which differ not only by the bizarre names ("at the Blue Fox", "White Boot" and T.NS.), but also the multiple facades – as a result of numerous rearrangements, they acquired the features of all architectural styles from Baroque to Neoeta.
New place (nové Město) Or a new city – the historic region of Prague.
Literally the name of the district is translated as «New town». The name was given as opposition to the old town. The area was laid in the XIV century, later all the central regions, as connecting the Stare place and Viserad.
Lies on the Eastern (right) coast of Vltava. In the north of the novel, the place is bordered by the Stare area, the separation takes place on the National Avenue, Jungmann and Wenceslas Square. From Vyhagoland, the district is separated in the south of the hollow with the railway paths along the streets of Freedom and Jamirov.
Administratively, most of the historic district enters administrative Prague 1, Prague 2 and a small part of the Prague area 8.
Wenceslas Square (Václavské náměstí) – One of the most famous and large urban areas in the world, the main center of the historic district of the modern place in Prague. Place many historical events, traditional place of demonstrations, festivities and public meetings. Trade and business center Prague, where large hotels, shops and cafes are located. Square is called the name of St. Vaclav, Prince Czech, Heavenly Patron of the country.
Earlier it was called the horse market, because in the Middle Ages there were horsepad fairs. Renamed Vaclavskaya (Svyatovaslala) Square in 1848.
Wenceslas Square is rather reminiscent of a wide boulevard: it is a strongly elongated quadrangle with a length of 750 m, 63 m wide in the upper and 48 m at the bottom, with a total area of 45 thousand. M², Going under the mountain from northwest to the south-east, on it six dozen buildings. Area is usually compared with the Parisian Champs Elysees. The architectural ensemble of the square has developed in the XIX-XX centuries. The characteristic feature of the buildings of Vaclavak is that almost all of them have "passages" (passing yards) connecting them with other streets (sometimes several).
Dancing House (Dancing House) – Located in the historic area of the new place (Prague 2), on the corner of the Resslova Street and the Embankment. Building in deconstructivism style, consists of two cylindrical towers, and sharply contrasts with a neighboring whole architectural complex of the turn of the XIX-XX centuries.
The authors of the project – Croatian architect Vlado Mirlunic and Canadian architect Frank Geri. Construction was carried out from 1994 to 1996. The construction of the house was supervised personally Vaclav Gavel (former President of the Czech Republic).
The building is an office center in which several international companies are located. On the roof there is a French restaurant overlooking Prague.
Adria Palace (Adria Palác) – Located in the historic area of the modern place in Prague. Is one of the most famous samples of Prague Cubism. Adria is called the Palace by analogy with the Venetian Palazzo.
Red and white house with strict lines is richly decorated with stucco and sculptures.
The building was built (1923-1925) for the Venice Insurance Group Riunione Adriatica Di Sicurta, which enriched on the insurance of ships. After World War II, the building from the insurance company was taken away, and it was adapted for offices, a restaurant and theater "Laterna Magic".
Currently, there are shops, offices, restaurants and theater "on Zabradli".
Karlova Square (Karlovo náměstí) – Located in the historic district of the new place. Is the biggest (539×166) and the oldest in all Prague. Area is more like a square, but on the park. In the Middle Ages there was a market, called "Cottop". Posted this market on an ancient road leading from Prague Castle to Vyrah. On the trading past of Karlovoy Square in Prague, the names of the streets adjacent to it are live and barley.
The main attraction of Karlova Square is the New Town Hall, which appeared only for several decades later than the famous Old Town.
Novomestskaya Town Hall (Novoměstská Radnice) – Located in the historic district of the new place. It was built as the center of a new city, in opposition to the Old Town Hall. It was from the New Year’s Town Hall held in the history of Prague "throwing out from the windows" (the gusites emit members of the city council from the windows of the Newcomes Town Hall).
Elements of this Town Hall are very original. A duplex high roof crowns three-story building with an end high fountain. On the first floor there was a beautiful gothic hall with supports in the Gothic style.
Today, the room of the Town Hall is the hall for marching.
Faust House (FAUSTůV DůM) – Pink Baroque House in the southern part of Karlova Square, at the beginning of the Visegradskaya Street (historical area of the modern place). With Faust House is not directly connected, but the house is surrounded by numerous interesting legends due to its eccentric inhabitants. Currently, the house is used in conjunction in the complex of the University of Medical Faculty of Buildings.
Vltava Water Tower and Gallery "Manese" – Located in the historic area of the modern place, close to the embankment on the eastern shore of Vltava, near the giraskow bridge. Is a tower with a bulbous dome. Under the tower there is an inexpressive building from white blocks – an art gallery and a conference room "Manese".
Stare place (staré Město) Or the Old Town – the historic region of Prague, located in the ostera of the Vltava River.
The history of this place is rooted in the first millennium of our era – then, of course, there was no reason to call the area to the old town. He grew out of small settlements, which arose at an important crossroads of trade routes between the West and East and along the coast of Vltava in the X century, between Prague County and Vltava. Right at the site of the market square.
The name of the old-place speaks by itself: in this part of Prague are the most outstanding architectural, cultural and other historical monuments. Even those who have never been to Prague, probably heard of the famous cityshedral town hall, Charles Bridge or Old Town Square. Works of great masters, home-museums, sculptures and monuments of various styles and epochs – Waiting tourists literally on each street of the district.
Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) – Ancient Prague Square, located in the historic district of Stare. Its area is about 15,000 square meters. M. The area is surrounded by urban houses with facades of various architectural styles: Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo.
This place is known since the XII century, at that time the area was a large market standing at the crossroads of European trade routes. In the XIII century, the Square began to be called the old market, and from the XIV century – the Old Town Market. In the XVIII century, the area changed several names – the Old Table Platz, the large Old Town Square, a large area. In 1895, the square received today’s official name.
The Royal Coronation Processions, following in Prague Castle. In addition to the solemn events, the tragedy happened on the square. In 1422, there were collisions arising from the execution of the leader of the Prague poor Yana Zhelivsky, in 1437, the last Gusite Getman Jan Rogach was executed here with his approximate. On June 21, 1621, 27 participants took the death of the Old Town Square
Stavovsky Resistance against the Habsburg Dynasty. In their honor on the sidewalk near the main town hall, placed 27 crosses, with the symbols of the sword and a spike crown.
In the XIV century, the Old Town Hall was built on the square, and in 1410, astronomical clock were installed on the town hall – Prague Quarartians. From 1365, the temple of the Virgin Mary Tyn began to be built near the square.
In 1591, in the northern part of the square, Fountain Krotsinova Kashna was built, and in 1650, in honor of the liberation of Prague from the Swedes, the Mariani pillar was delivered here, which stood until 1918. At the place of the post today there is a memorial plate, and there is a midday mark on a blocking area – a place where the shadow fell from the Mariana pillar at noon of a sunny day. From this point in the past, the report of Prague time.
At the end of the XIX century, the area expands due to the demolished buildings. In 1915, a monument was established by the National Hero of the Czech Republic Jan Gusu. In the 60s of the XX century, the area became a pedestrian zone.
Old Town Hall and Prague Couragents – Located in the historic area Stare. The Town Hall was laid in 1338 on the basis of the privileges given by the Old Town Countries by the King of Yan Luxembourg. The complex consists of several houses adjacent to the Old Town Square and gradually connected to one integer for the needs of the Magistrate of the Prague Old Town.
Historically, the first building was an angular election in the late XIII century, which citizens received from the rich merchant Wolf Kamene. The dominant house was the powerful prismatic tower, built in 1364. In 1381, a gothic chapel was built. At the beginning of the XV century, Prague Quarartians were attached to the south side.
Prague Quarants (Pražský orloj) – Medieval tower clock installed on the southern wall of the Tower of the Old Town Hall. The clock shows years, months, days and hours, sunrise time, sunrise time and moon call, as well as the position of the zodiac signs. In the center of the dial is the land around which the sun rotates. Every hour when you beat the clock, there is a small view in the traditions of the medieval doll theater. Figures that are embodiments of human vices and such dominant of human life as death or reward for sins, begin to move: the skeleton pulls for the rope of the bell, an angel raises and lowers the punishing sword. In the windows of the clock, the face of the apostles are replaced by each other, and the rooster screams in the final.
Monument to Jan Husu (Pomník Mistra Jana Husa) – Located in the historic area Stare. Monument to the preacher, reformer, philosopher, fighter for the rights of the Czech people and the symbol of national unity. In 1414, the Roman Catholic Church declared his heretic, and in 1415 he was alive burned on a fire. The execution of Yana Gusa marked the beginning of the Gusitsky Wars (1491-1434), who led his supporters (gusites) against one of the most powerful monarch of the European Dynasties of the Habsburgs and their supporters.
In 1915, a monument made in the style of Modern Ladyslaw Salouer, a famous Czech sculptor who worked in the style of Czech modernist symbolism was installed in the Old Town Square.
Temple of the Virgin Mary Tyn (Kostel Matky Boží Před Týnem) – Dominant of the Old Town Square Prague (historic region Stare space). The construction of the temple began in the XIV century, and finally ended only in 1511. At the beginning of the XV century, the Tyn Church became not only the spiritual center of the Old Town, but also the main Gusitsky Church of Prague. In 1621, the cathedral moved to Jesuits. At this time, the main statue was withdrawn from the golden bowl, the symbol of the Reformation, and the inscription «True wins».
Based on the Cathedral – Romanesque and Ranal Foundations. Gothic architecture perfectly harmonizes with decoration that appeared in subsequent centuries. A significant part of the interior is decorated in the Baroque style. Baroque altar was performed in 1649 by the artist Kellek.
In the temple is buried the great astronomer quietly.
The Charles Bridge (Karlův MOST) – Bridge over the Vltava River, connects the areas of a small country and old-place. Built in the Epoch of the Middle Ages, it is 30 sculptures on it. Length of the bridge 520 m, width – 9.5 m. The bridge is based on 16 powerful arches, lined with sandstone trees.
Today it is the only thing in its own product of medieval art. The first stone in the base of the bridge was laid by Karl IV July 9, 1357. The stone bridge was originally called Prague, in 1870 he was named after the founder.
Bridge Tower Karlova Bridge – Located on the tip of Karlova Bridge, adjacent to the old town, in 1373 the Gothic Tower was built. The bridge tower is decorated with the statues of Czech rulers, the coat of arms of different lands, as well as the image of the poultryfish, the symbol of Vaclav IV. The tower is open to visit and with its tops open excellent views of the Old Town and the Vltava River. Once upon the tower, the heads of twelve protestants were executed in 1621.
Powder tower or powder gate (PRAšNá Brána) – Located on the Square of the Republic (historical district Stare space) next to the public house and connects with him indoor bridge. Tower height 65 m. Inside is a photo exhibition. On the tower, at an altitude of 44 meters there is an observation deck, which leads a spiral staircase from 186 steps.
The first stone of the tower was laid in 1475. The gate should have serve as one of the thirteen entrances to the old town, but this plan was not destined to come true. Shortly after the start of construction, the king, worrying about his own security, returned to Prague Castle and the old palace with surroundings quickly lost its importance. Despite the rich finish, the tower remained unfinished, later the temporary roof was laid and the structure began to serve as a warehouse of gunpowder. It was then that the tower began to be called a powder. At the beginning of the XIX century, it was renovated and completed in the pseudo-style style.
Carolinum (Karolinum) – Medieval complex of Karlov University buildings in Prague (historical area Stare place), founded in early 14th century. The complex was laid on the basis of an impressive mansion built in the Gothic style of Jan Rotleva, who was redeemed by Carl IV for the needs of the university opening. Later, the building was expanded. At the university there were lecture audiences, meeting rooms, residential premises for lecturers, bath and even prison.
University buildings survived many events important in the history of the Czech Republic. Professor and Rector Jan Gus read here lectures. Since 1620, the university was transferred to the ownership of the Jesuit Order. They combined Caroline with their university in Clementinum.
The pride of Carolinum is a large hall that is used for university celebrations and graduation ceremonies. The main wall is decorated with tapestry with the image of Charles IV, standing on his knees in front of Saint Welasla. Before the tapestry is a bronze statue of Charles IV. Chapel, Passage and Wall Carolinum have handed over time tests and have been preserved until now. It is worth paying attention to the elegant erker window in the Gothic style, which has been preserved since 1370.
Caroline is open to visit on the days of ceremonies, for special events and in open doors days.
Clementinum (Klementinum) – The second largest complex of historical buildings in Prague after Prague Castle. Located in the historic district of Star, Karlova Bridge.
Initially, the walls of Clementinum had several houses, chostels, gardens and one Dominican monastery.
The Order of Jesuitov, which was formed in Prague in 1556, bought a monastery from Jesuit with the Church of the Holy Clement, and then bought other buildings nearby. Jesuits also built in the old town of School, typography, theater, and took control of Karlov University.
Church of St. Salvator was laid in 1593. And the largest building of Clementinum Monastery The Jesuit Monastery was laid in 1653, and was built practically a hundred years.
At a later time, in the 17th century, a mirror challenge and an astronomical tower were built in Clementinum. The astronomical tower to this day remains a observatory where metro-object observations are also held.
In the 18th century, a sculpture of Prague Student was established in Clementinum, devoted to the fact that Prague students actively participated in the defense of Prague from the Swedes.
In 1924, it was decided to establish the State Library of the Czech Republic and the State Technical Library of the State Library of the Czech Republic and the State Technical Library.
Bethlehem Chapel (Betlémská Kaple) – Located in the historic area Stare. Founded in 1391 by the court king of Waclav II for MESS in Czech language. Building capacity – up to 3000 people. From 1402 to 1413 the chapel preacher was Jan Gus. It was here that he began to sermon reformists.
In 1661, the chapel was captured by Jesuits and destroyed. In her place were built residential buildings. And only in 1954 she was completely restored in the same form, in which it existed in the time of Yana Gus.
Fruit Market Square – Located in the historic area Stare. It was quite well deserved in his name: once, in ancient times, merchants were offered to citizens of a wide variety of fruits. Today, only the arcade of the gothic style remained from this fruit bazaar. The area has an elongated incorrect shape.
Nowadays, Guests of Prague come to the Fruit Market area, not only admire the original architecture, but also visit the Cost.
Krzhzhovnitskaya Square (Křižovnické náměstí) – Located in the historic district of Stare space, right in front of the bridge tower. From this place you can admire the most beautiful views of the Vltava River: for this purpose you need to climb the stairs to a special observation platform.
The area is quite compact and very beautiful: from three sides it is surrounded by famous Prague objects. This is the Church of St. Francis of Assisi, the Church of the Holy Savior, erected in the Baroque style, as well as a pave tower. In the center of the square rises a monument to Charles IV. This neo-neo-style statue was installed on Square in 1848: it was then that Czechs celebrated five centuries from the day of the founding of Karlov University.
Another pretty entertaining facility is located on the Krzhzhovnitsky Square: Prague Museum of Torture.
House "At the Stone Bell" (Dum u Kamenneho Zvonu) – Building in the Gothic style (14th century). The house acquired its original appearance after the 1987 restoration, then a gray plaster was removed, imposed on it at the time Neurokko, and the delightful details of the finishes opened under it. At the same time, in its basements, they were discarded here during reconstruction in 1685 details and patterns, genuine masterpieces of the gothic times of gothic times.
Today, the house is used for exhibitions and art galleries. There are also concerts of famous musicians.
House "At the Golden Well" (U Zlaté Studně) – Located at the junction of Karlova and Seminar Engines. His name is due to the fact that water in the well next to the house was incredibly pure and beautiful taste. And such a property ranked to the cland on the bottom of the well.
The house originally belonged to the Emperor Rudolf II. Beautiful house facade is aimed at Charles Bridge. This house refers to the Middle Ages and is decorated in the Baroque style, although initially the construction belongs to the Renaissance era. Facades are decorated with various reliefs and medallions. In the design of the building you can see the virgin Maria,. Sebastian, CV. Ryha, St. Yana Nepooksky,. Ignatius, St. Rosalia. Saints Roh, Sebastian and Rosalia are considered patrons of salvation from a terrible plague, which took many lives at the time.
A lot of romantics and creative personalities attended this house in the 19th century, since it was then that a small beer was organized in the house with a beautiful view of the old Prague.
Josephs (Jewish City) – Medieval Jewish Quarter-Ghetto Prague. The total area of the quarter is 8.81 hectares, which is 6.8% of the Square of Old Prague.
Josefov appeared in Prague in 1850, when during the administrative transformation before that the powerful, often suffering from anti-European pogroms Prague ghetto officially became one of the administrative neighborhoods of the capital of Bohemia. Name «Josefov» The quarter received because it was the Austrian Emperor Joseph II issued a decree on the equalization of Jews in the rights with the Christian population after the revolutionary wave of 1848.
At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, especially between 1893 and 1913, a significant part of the quarter was destroyed during clearing and redevelopment of former Jewish slums for the purpose of laying in Prague of highways and majestic buildings like Paris. Most of the architectural monuments have been preserved: an old-new synagogue, Pinkasova Synagogue, Mayzelova Synagogue, Claus Synagogue, Spanish Synagogue, High Synagogue, Jewish Town Hall, as well as Old Jewish Cemetery. Most other buildings were erected in. Twentieth century.
Due to the demolition of old buildings, the share of Jews in the quarter was constantly declining, despite the newly occupied mainly Czech. By the beginning of the twentieth century, Yosefov remained either the poorest Jewish families, or ultra-sodoxal Jews, keepers of the ancient quarters of the quarter. The fascists first planned to destroy all the architectural monuments of the Jewish culture of the quarter, but then decided to leave them as a reminder to the future generations of the Germans about the "disappeared lower races".
Old-New Synagogue (Staronová Synaagoga) – The most ancient of the existing cult Judaist buildings in Europe. Established in 1270, among other things, it is also one of the first gothic buildings in Prague. She managed to experience a lot of fires, Jewish pogroms, clearing a quarter of Josephs in the XIX century and the Nazi occupation. Is the cultural and religious center of the Prague Jewish Community.
It is famous for many reasons, but however, the most interesting, mysterious and ticking imagination is the legend of the clay "man" of the Golem, from which the literary Frankenstein was written off by a few centuries later.
In the old-new synagogue in the XV century, the most respected rabbi served in the history of Prague Ghetto – Rabbi Yehud Lyov. Being a great mystic scientist and an authoritative Talmudist, Lyoul cut out of the clay a man-like figure of the golem and revived her by putting her nickname in her mouth – a table with magical text. Golem was a faithful servant of the wise lord who defended Jews from difficulties and troubles. However, over time, the clay "man" turned into a unauthorized monster, so the leav took out the magical smell of the mouth of his great brainchild, and the lifeless golem hid in the attic of an old-new synagogue, strictly-setting forbidding everyone. They say, golem and today sleeps under the roof of an ancient synagogue.
About the name "old-new". At the time of its construction, the synagogue was the biggest and modern in Josefov, so I immediately got the name "new". However, the predecessors of this treasure of cultural heritage, without preparing the burden of times, collapsed, and with the time "new" synagogue became the most ancient, having received the name "old". And in the XVI century, it was decided to call it "old-new".
Although an old-new synagogue and is a valid, tourists go to it.
Spanish synagogue (ŠPanělská Synaagoga) – It was built in 1868-1893 on the site of the oldest in Prague of the Jewish charter house ("Old Shule"). It is called her Spanish due to the fact that it was performed in the Moorish style.
The synagogue is built on a regular plan, which is based on the square. In the center rises a big dome. From three sides, galleries are arranged on metal frames that fully open in the non. Wonderful elements of the inner decor – low plaster Arabesques with stylized Islamic motifs, which are also present on the walls, doors and balustrades of the gallery.
During the reign of the Nazis and Communists, the Spanish synagogue came to the deplorable state and was temporarily closed for more than 20 years. However, in the second half of the 20th century, the building passed to the ownership of the Jewish Museum, which began to implement its restoration. Today, the building of the synagogue is part of the Jewish Museum, there are also concerts of classical music in the evenings.
Pinkasova Synagoga (Pinkasova Synaagoga) – was built in 1519-1535 and was supposed to serve challens for the Gorjov family. The synagogue is a single-dimensional volume, overlapped by late-day mesh crops.
During the period between 1607-1625, the synagogue was expanded thanks to the extension of the hall, the side nef and the women’s gallery. Now the synagogue is a monument to the victims of the Nazi Genocide of Jews in the Czech Republic. Names of victims written on the wall of the synagogue – Warning to the subsequent generations.
High Synagoga (Vysoka Synaagoga) – was built in the 16th century. The synagogue is closely close to the Jewish Town Hall and is one of the whole. Her name is due to the fact that the original chapel was located not on the first, but on the second floor of the building, it was possible to enter it only from the second floor of the Town Hall. When restructuring at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries, the entrance from the town hall was embossed and the entrance from the street.
High synagogue serves as a branch of the State Jewish Museum. Here is an exhibition of the Torah, curtains, silver jewelry, as well as a Jewish store on the first floor of the museum.
Mayselova Synagoga Maiselova Synaagoga – It was built on Mordechai Mercelah at a special order of Emperor Rudolph II from August 1591. It was originally performed in the Renaissance style, but due to damage as a result of fires lost its shine and renaissance splendor. The current neo-scientific appearance of the synagogue received as a result of the reconstruction conducted in 1892-1907.
Currently, it has an exposition of cult silver products of the State Jewish Museum.
Clausová Synagoga (Klausová Synaagoga) – Built in early-bar-style, laying at the old Jewish cemetery. It was built on a plot acquired by Mordecham Messel, and part of the site was used to expand the cemetery, and the other – for the construction of three small objects ("Klaus") used to teach and as a chapel, in the third, maybe Mikva. Therefore, the synagogue, built after the fire of 1689 on the site of the burnt "Klaus", Claus was named. Gradually, the interior was restored and adapted for the exposition of the Jewish Museum. Among the exhibits are the most erased old handwritten and printing samples in Hebrew.
Old Jewish cemetery – One of the most attractions of Jewish burials in the world – originated in the first half of the XV century. The entrance to it is located in the building of the funeral fraternity, built in 1906 in the form of a little Romanesque castle. Currently, it places the exposition of the State Jewish Museum, consisting of the drawings of concentration camp children "Teresin".
On the territory of the cemetery there is about 12 thousand tombstones, however, the graves there is much more, since many layers of burial. The oldest tombstones are simple sandstone plates. The total sign of the tombstones of the late Gothic and Renaissance is the diverse relief of the font. For later gothic tombstones, a trilley is typical, and for the Renaissance era – profiled framing of the tombstone. The most later burial refers to 1787.
Jewish Town Hall (židovská Radnice) – Initially built in the style of the renaissance of the second half of the 16th century, and then rebuilt in the baroque style in the 18th century. Attention attracts extraordinary clock in Tympan under a small turret. Jewish numbers are written on the dial, and the clock arrows are moving in the opposite direction. The only part open to the public is a kosher dining room.
Zizhkovsky television tower (žižkovský VYSíLač) – Television and broadcasting tower in the area of the Zizkov. Was built in 1985-1992. Height – 216 meters, is the highest construction in the Czech Republic.
The tower received his name by the name of the district – aliens, and he, in turn, in honor of the fearless one-eyed leader of the Gusites – Yana All Bug. The fact is that in 1420, at this place, a small Gusitskaya army won over the crowded and well-armed armed army of the Crusaders.
The tower consists of three concrete pillars associated with transverse platforms, on which there is a television and radio equipment, a cafe and a sightseeing platform (at an altitude of 93 m, from where the unique view of 100 km opens). By appearance, the tower resembles a rocket on the pad. Also interesting decoration are figures of creeping children (composition «Infants» David Black, 2000).
Singing fountains (Křižíkova fontána) – One of the main attractions of summer Prague. They were designed by Francisky in 1891 to the opening of the "World Exhibition" in the Czech capital. Exactly after a hundred years, in 1991, their reconstruction was conducted.
Fountains consist of 3,000 jets, highlighted by spotlights and "dancing" for various music, from classic to popular hits. The representation lasts 45 minutes, sometimes dance groups are joined to action.
Břevnovsky Monastery (Břevnovský KlášTer) – The first men’s monastery of the Order of the Benedictians in the Czech Republic, founded in 992-993 by the Prague Bishop of Hometich and the Czech Prince Boleslav second. In the 13th century, the remains of the Holy Markets, martyrs from the time of Tsar Diocletian, were transported here, in honor of which the monastery temple was named after.
The complex of the monastery includes Basilica. Markets; The north of the church is a three-storey convention complex with economic buildings and the Prelant Building, in the south – two-storey buildings of the early-baroque convention with economic buildings, a terraced garden with a well, nicknamed "Sumshka" and Capella Sv. Joseph.
Basically, the facades of monastic buildings are simply resolved, with the exception of the facade of Prelant, made in the style of the late baroque, characteristic of the palace’s appearance. Entrance doors in the area of the monastery are decorated with sculpture. Benedict of the late 30s 18th century. Most of the interiors of the monastery retained late-baroque vaults, only the part that was built in the 2nd half of the 17th century, was solved in the style of early baroque.
Trojsky Castle (Trojský zámek) – First in Prague Summer Country Palace. It is built in the suburb of Prague on the shore of Vltava in 1679-91 by imperial graphs Sternbergs on the baroque project of the French emigrant Jean-Batista Matee.
The stucco decorations of the stairs leading to the garden are made by the brothers Herman from Dresden. The invited Italians and the Dutch worked on intricate frescoes inside the palace; Of these, the burdens on the theme of apoheosis of the Habsburgs uses the greatest fame.
Currently, the pictures of the XIX century Czech artists of the XIX century are exhibited, as well as the museum of wine. A monument to Jan Gus is installed near the manor house, and the Prague Zoo and Botanical Garden are located a little away.
Olšansk Cemetery (Olšanské Hřbitovy) – The largest cemetery in Prague with an area of more than 50 hectares, where there are graves about 2 million people. The remains of the outstanding personalities of Czech history, the soldiers of the first and second world wars who died in the battle near Leipzig in 1813. Located in Zizhkov (Prague 3), Metro Station "Gelivskoe".
Metronome in Prague (Prague Metronome) – Giant 23-meter metronome, towering over the River Vltava and the city center of Prague. It was installed in 1991, and stands on the pedestal, released after dismantling the huge monument to Joseph Stalin (the monument was destroyed in 1962).
Church of the Most Holy Heart of the Lord on grapes (Kostel Nejsvětějšího Srdce Páně) – Catholic temple on Jiří Square from Podbrad, in the area of grapes. It was built in the period from 1928 to 1932 by architect Yego Shp. Leschnik studied in Vienna from Otto Wagner, and in his creation, many aesthetic principles of modern architecture were embodied.
The temple is extremely atypical for buildings of this kind, since it is built in excellent architectural style. The building is inherent simplicity forms and compositions. The church is a central rectangular basilical church with a clergy. The eastern side of the building is crowned with a massive tower of full width, towering over the level of roofs of the region. There are giant clock in the tower in the form of a socket window. Over the clock there is a bell, to which a long zigzag ramp leads. The windows are located in the top of the walls. Walls tilted inside. Facade decorated with brick protrusions.
The interior of the temple is functional, but at the same time exquisite and solemn. Wall plane underlined by pilasters. Along the walls there are wooden statues of Czech saints, and the monumental statue of Christ, the creation of D, is tested in the middle of the altar wall.Pesana.
Temple is located in the Prague area 3, near the Metro Station "Jiřího Z Poděbrad".