Places — A small town in the north of Ivanovo region is part of the Volga Municipal District. Located on the hilly right bank of the Volga in the mouth of the River Shochonki.
Nearest cities — Privolzhsk (16 km), Volgorechensk (22 km) and chain chains (27 km). This is one of the smallest cities of Russia, its population of only 1732 people (2020).
Despite the modest sizes, it is an important cultural, historical and tourist center of the Ivanovo region, it is included in the list of historical settlements of the federal significance.
The life of the famous our artist Isaac Levitan is connected with Ples, Ilya Repin, Alexey Savrasov, Fyodor Vasilyev, and an outstanding singer Fedor Chaliapin.
The climate in the mild-continental mold, it is characterized by frosty and snowy winter and warm and rainy summer, as well as pronounced intersazon. The winds are predominantly southern and western, causing rainfall — more than 600 mm.
The coldest month — January with an average temperature about -7°WITH. The warmer month — July with an average temperature +17°C, although during the daytime air is usually heated to +24°WITH.
Recommended travel time to Ples — August when comfortable average daily temperature and relatively low probability of rain.
History of Plesa
Archaeological excavations indicate that the settlement in this place existed already in the IX century. First, the Finno-Ugric tribes of the Merya, the whole and Murom lived here. Later on the Volga began to settle the Slavs, they swallowed the land and built cities. In those days, the ancient city of Chulil stood on the site of modern.
The first chronicle mention of the city refers to 1141. In 1238, the Ples was destroyed by Horde Batya as many other our cities, but did not stop existence. And already in 1410, Vasily I, the eldest son of Dmitry Donsky, commands to restore the fortress on the high right bank of the Volga.
So Ples becomes part of the defensive system of the our state. A successful geographical position made it possible to view an important transport artery — Volga — dozens of kilometers and learn about the approach of enemies in advance.
In addition, a stone ridges left for the bottom of the Volga near the DNA, and ships, to safely overcome this plot of the river, was required to help local Lotsmanov.
In the XVI century, the city plays an important role in the struggle of the our kingdom with Kazan Khanate. Here the troops are gather to fight the enemy, also the city has repeatedly bought off the attack of the enemy. After the fall of Kazan in 1552, the Volga becomes a safe trading way, which increases the port value of the spla.
In 1609, the troops of Pan Lisovsky attacked the city and destroyed a wooden fortress that was no longer restored. But Slobodi continued to grow actively, and by the end of the XVII century Ples — Already a fairly large city where stone temples and residential buildings are being built.
In the XVIII century, linen manufactories, a malt plant, forge. From the south, ships with grain arrive, and from here are sent along the Volga of the canvas, produced in the factors of the entire Ivanovo-Voznesensky region. In 1778, Ples receives the status of a county city.
In the 19th century, the Ples reaches his heyday as a port and merchant city, but after construction in 1871, the railway, Ivanovo and Kineshma, the commercial significance of the city decreases, due to the decrease in the number of jobs, the population travels to other settlements, and the Ples becomes quiet and provincial.
But now they love to come here. One of the most famous — Artist Isaac Levitan, who wrote here more than 200 cloths.
In the 20th century, health resorts appear in the Plea, which are located in former merchant mansions. This is a leisure house of textiles, and anti-tuberculosis sanatorium, organized by the sample of the best resistant Crimea.
Currently Ples — Famous tourist center, attracting travelers well preserved historical development, picturesque landscapes and unique museums.
What to see
Since the plend is located on a hilly bank, it will have to overcome many rates and descents to get a lot of lifts and descents, so it is better to take care of a good physical form in advance.
But this is not the easiest journey of Tomfort: the magnificent views and landscapes, opening with the eye during the walk, will be remembered for a long time.
Typically, tourist routes around the city begins on the Volga embankment, on the street Lunacharsky. Located here House-Museum of the artist Isaac Levitan, Placed in a merchant mansion built of early XIX century.
Here you can see the room that Isaac Ilyich took off with friends, as well as the exhibition of his work. Opposite the museum installed Monument to the artist.
Next door to the building where the female gymnasium was previously posted, then the elementary school, and after the revolution of 1917 — Children’s house, settled Levitan cultural center — Place where large events, exhibitions, conferences, film.
A little further on Lunacharsky, 20 is the only one in Russia Museum of Landscape. It occupies a former merchant mansion, buildings of the late XVIII century, which is depicted on the painting of Isaac Levitan «Evening. Golden Ples». The museum is exhibited by the canvas of the famous our landscape owners Alexey Savrasov, Ivan Shishkin, Vasily Vereshchagin and others.
Opposite the museum on the banks of the Volga can be seen Sculpture «Daclin» Bronze girl sits on a bench and admires easel and picturesque river expanses. It is assumed that the daccia has a real prototype — Sophia Kuvshtinikova, student and beloved Isaac Levitan.
If from the museum of the landscape, turn deep into the city towards the street of Varvarinskaya, then before the eyes there will be a snow-white Varvarina Church, Built in 1821. She is also immortalized in the picture and. AND. Levitan «Evening. Golden Ples» and since then has not changed.
From here, on Kirov Street it is easy to come to a wooden staircase and climb to Mount Levitan — place where Isaac Ilyich wrote his famous landscapes. Here is the Resurrection Church, which is easily recognizable on the famous Picture «Over the eternal peace».
In fact, the church from the painting burned in 1904, and on the mountain there is her twin sister. In addition, a long lifting of the mountain will be rewarded by the exciting spirit species opening from here.
On the other side of the River Shochonki is Cathedral mountain, from the viewing sites of which are opening very picturesque views, especially at sunset. It is from here in ancient times the city of Ples began, the wooden fortresses were built here, from which only ditch and part of the earthen shaft were currently remained.
Here, at the Cathedral Mountain, is located Posted building, Built in the late XVIII century. Now it contains the expositions of the Plesian Museum-Reserve, dedicated to the early history of the city. It is here that you can learn about the construction of the first and second fortresses, as well as see interesting archaeological finds.
Next to the museum is the only one in Russia Monument to Vasily I, son and heir to Dmitry Donskoy, who was previously considered the founder of the rend. He appeared at the Cathedral Mount to the 500th anniversary of the city, in the pre-revolutionary time, in 1910. By the monument — Sculptor S. Aleshin.
Opposite stands snow-white Assumption Church — The oldest stone structure in the city. It was built in 1699 on the spot of a burnt wooden temple. Previously, there was a Kazan Church next to her, but she was lost in Soviet times.
What a temple complex looked like, can be seen on the painting of Isaac Levitan «Quiet abode», And on the site of the destroyed Kazan church, a Poklonnaya Cross was installed.
Southern descent from the Cathedral Mountain is a cathedral area, where one temple is worth Complex from Troitskaya and Intraved Churches.
The elegant summer Trinity temple was built in 1808, and in 1828 more squat and modest introduced appeared nearby.
A few steps from the square on the street of Leo Tolstoy is private House Museum of Decorative Glass. He belongs to the artist Alexander Timofeev. The museum presents his work: stained glass windows, fiberglass, art glass, and paintings.
From here it is easy to reach the street Karl Marx, the former noble. Once it was the most prestigious area of the Plesa, here there were houses respected in the city of people. At the beginning of the street, a complex of red brick buildings is located — Gorbunovskaya Hospital, built in memory of the deceased son and transmitted to the city by a merchant Gregory Gorbunov.
From Karl Marx Street on a wooden staircase, you can go down to the street Nikanorka, where it stands on the right side Building a fire unit From the red brick, built at the end of the XIX century.
It is noteworthy that she is without calene. So it was conceived by the project, because due to the hilly relief, the whole city is impossible to cover with one high place.
Decoral from the fire station is located Trading area, on which the construction of the XIX century is perfectly preserved. This is elegant Resurrection Church 1817, built in honor of the victory over Napoleon, as well as Building of the upper (flour) shopping rows.
From the square stretches Lenin Street, built up with colorful antique houses, — Great place for unhurried walks. She goes to the Volga, where on the shore Monument cat Fly. Real fly tragically died, defending his kittens from the courtyard PSA, and in 2008 was immortalized in concrete.
Embankment, she is the street Soviet — One of the most attractive places in the city. One side — Picturesque Volga expanses, and on the other — Vintage merchant houses. One of them — House Sobolev, Built in the middle of the XIX century.
Since the owner of the house was friends with a.N. Ostrovsky, Alexander Nikolaevich repeatedly here. Currently, the house belongs to the yacht club.
Next door are located Lower (meat) trading rows — Two two-story buildings built in the first half of the XIX century. Once there was a lively trade, today in the building there is a gallery of art crafts of the Ivanovo Territory, souvenir shop and shops.
Around the corner from the pass alley The oldest shopping street — Kalashny. Previously, she stretched from the serfs to the Volga through the sales area, currently reconstructed only partially, here, as in the old days, there are wooden shopping shops and there is an active street trade.
Embankment Volga in Plesa — It’s like an open-air museum. On the corner with the eats House Grounds, Decorated with columns, a little further — House of merchants Smirnovy with a rounded corner and an elegant balcony, next door — Beautiful house Maclain, one of the pre-revolutionary heads of the city.
Nearby is one of the most beautiful Plove buildings — Bakaki-Essenty merchant house, major Plesian merchants. Built at the turn of the XVIII and XIX centuries, it has two floors and decorated with stone windows. It is noteworthy that the second floor is above the first, since there were halls for solemn receptions.
Nearby — double decker House of merchant Kalugan, where you can now remove the stylized apartment for short-term accommodation, and next door — House introduced With three pilasters, although there should be an even number by the canon of classicism, such as architectural library.
At the beginning of the Soviet street stands Manor Nobala Moses, The people are known as «House with columns». The building is already in almost two hundred years, currently in it is the city administration. Next to him — House of the merchant Novozhilov from red brick, the only stone building in the style of Modern.
Next to the Plove also have interesting places. One of them — Manor Milovka, Located to the west. Based at the turn of the XVIII and XIX centuries, it is considered an architectural monument and gardening art.
Initially, she belonged to the nobles of Chernev, then — manufacturer Gorbunov, in Soviet times the estate was nationalized and abandoned. Milovka received the second life after President and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev became interested after her interested.
With his assistance, not only the estate was restored, but many buildings in the city itself.
East of the rend there is another curious place — Shalyapino village, in which is located Dacha Fedor Shalyapina. The famous singer was conquered by the beauty of these places, so I bought a plot of land on the banks of the Volga in order to build a cottage here and even actively participated in the development of the project.
The house was built in 1914, but Shalyapin did not see him for different circumstances. In Soviet times there was a holiday home here, now the building is abandoned.
How to get to the rend
From Moscow to the Plesa can be reached on a personal car. Distance — 370 km, travel time — about 5 hours. You need to move on the M7 highway through Vladimir and Ivanovo and then through the Volga region on the Ples.
Bus service connects Ples only with Ivanov and Moscow. Therefore, the bus route needs to be planned with a change in Ivanovo. Buses from Ivanovo to Ples follow daily with an interval from an hour to three, travel time — Approximately two hours.
Since the Ploves stands on the banks of the Volga, it is easily accessible on the boat in the warm season. The city has stopping tourist boats, following Moscow, Astrakhan. Yaroslavl, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara, Kazan and other port cities.