Pitillaano: "Italian Jerusalem" -, Italy – Tourist Blog
Pitigallian, or "Little Jerusalem", as it is often called, is a town with a population of about 4,000 people located in Grosseto province, in the southernmost Italian Tuscany. More than modest in its size, every year pitillano takes about 25 thousand tourists who come here to get acquainted with the culture of the local Jewish community, which here is the time of time for centuries.
Pitigallian first mentioned in written annals in 1061 from the Nativity of Christ. In the XIII century, he entered the land owned by the family of the Aldobrandests, and already in 1293 became the property of the Orsini family. At this time, Siena constantly fought with external and inner opponents, and in 1455, when the fathers of the city had achieved mutual understanding (or at least his visibility) with those with others, they gave Pitigalian the status of a self-governing territory.
Pitigallian is also famous for the most curious artifacts of the ancient Etrury period. Among them, the inscriptions on the walls of the tuff cliffs came to this day. The fact that these walls are the creation of a person indicates that the ancient residents used them in some way in their daily activities, especially since the lower part represents the tunnel complex, which could serve whether the type of water pipeline, or simply transport arteries that time. The historical buildings of Pitigyleno also appear. This is the Church of St. Mary, and the castle of Orsini, and the former Peter and Paul, who was built in the Epoch of the Middle Ages and was repeatedly rebuilt and was updated for a number of subsequent centuries. The most remarkable impression that the cathedral gives, this is a view that bends from its windows on Piazza San Gregorio, with her community and justice palaces.
It is famous for Pitillano and its synagogue, which goes back to the XVI century, the ancient publications of the Bible and inscriptions on the walls. Unique testimonies of religious architecture are the chapel of the Holy Cross, Church of St. Anthony, Church of San Rocco, which we recommend visiting in Pitillano. Also pay attention to the chapel rock, Church of San Michele, Church of the Virgin of Flowers, the Jewish cemetery, Chapel of the Holy Apostles James and Philip, Church of St. Francis, St. Francis Cathedral. These monuments of old days must enter each tourist route. In addition to religious, Pitigallian demonstrates a number of samples of secular architecture. For example, it is worth watching the aid of the Medici era, built in the middle of the sixteenth century to supply water from the adjacent reservoir. In addition, the seven-step fountain applies. Twin fountains (North and South) are on the republic’s area. On the bank of the Fira River, the castle of an eagle rushes, or rather, that it remains from him. And these fragments are in very good condition. Among the sights of the open-air museum, the Diocesan Museum and the settlement of the local Jewish community, which we have already reported is most, but it is adjacent to representatives of other nationalities, also inhabiting this ancient town.