Cities of Trinidad and Tobago: Port-of-Spain (Trinidad Island)
Surrounded by lush green hills Nord-Range Port Of Spain (Port Of Spain) Since 1757, the capital and the main business center of rich in oil Trinidad. Pretty unusual on its architecture and general planning, stretching along the Bay of the Paria city literally saturated with structures of all styles and epochs – Typically caribbean bazaars coexist here with modern skyscrapers, and mosques’ minarets – with dips and spiers of the cathedrals. A stormy mixture of architectural styles at first glance may seem rather unsightly, especially taking into account the abundance of docks, warehouse complexes and lifting cranes in the heart of the city. However, in general, Port-of-Spin is quite colorful, and among its modern skyscrapers and office complexes, it is easy to detect a lot of excellent facilities of the nineteenth century and characteristic of the region "Lush" Buildings that received their name because of exquisitely decorated with threads of facades and balconies. However, many urban quarters carry quite noticeable "business" shade, and hotels are clearly more adapted to the requests of business travelers, not tourists.
The heart of the city is considered Independence Square (Brian Lara Promenide), located north of docks. Strictly speaking, this is not the square at all, but two long streets that limit the narrow pedestrian zone. This is the area of lively street trade and quiet alley, "in the shadow" Twin towers of the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago (the highest construction on the island) and the Catholic Cathedral of Holi Trinity (1836 g). There was a whole network of small streets, pierced by noisy Frederick Street, which forms the famous shopping district of the city, which is more often called the center. At halfway, a pretty local analogue of the London Hyde Park was spread between him and an independence area – Woodford Square, which is a pleasant green zone, supported from the south of the same cathedral, from the North – the Town Hall-Librie complex, and from the West – a majestic colonial building of parliament Red House. Southeast Central Quarters The Cathedral of Immakulyt-Concepcion (the beginning of the XVIII B) and the heart of the entire island’s transport system – City Gate on South Kwai. On this, the old part of the city is limited, and the so-called "suburb", Although most of these quarters actually merged with a city feature.
The hilly eastern part of the city is occupied by the once poor, Loventilla and Belmont, inhabited by slaves and poor immigrants from Europe. Belmont is not at all like slums at all and is widely known for its colorful and cheerful African community, which is "Schedule" Most noisy holidays and festivals of the capital. Loventilla adjacent to him with its steep alleys and dilapidated buildings steeply sprinkles on the hills of the foresown. This area is considered the birthplace of traditional local drums "pan" and many famous Calypso music performers.
Northern Quarters Crew-Claire, Cent-Ann and Maravala smoothly go into the foot of Nord Range. Here, around the vast green space of Queen-Savanna Park (area of about 260 acres), the rich old quarters are concentrated, on which luxurious mansions of the colonial period and fashionable hotels, the residence of the President and Prime Minister, the offices of successive companies and foreign embassies are tested. At the intersection of Frederick Street and Savannah rises the extensive complex of the National Museum and the Art Gallery (open from Thursday to Saturday from 10.00 to 18.00, on Sundays – from 14.00 to 18.00, input is free). The Museum Assembly covers almost all the stages of the history of the islands, starting with the settlement of this land by Indian tribes and to the present day, and the gallery contains an extensive meeting of local artists. Eastern Museum Complex spread a memorial park. And in the western part of the park, on Malar Road, a whole series of luxurious old mansions are stretched, commonly referred to "Gorgeous seven", among which the most interesting is quite fantastic in their architecture of Nusli House (one of the many examples of the architect George Brown, who introduced into the mass construction of a tree thread), the most picturesque Bossery House, Queens-Royal College in the style of German Renaissance (now is located here The most prestigious school of the country), the Whitehell’s snow-white building in Mauritan style (now here is the office of the President and the Office of the Prime Minister of the country), as well as the world famous Killarney, or Pokolmeyer Castle, – the picturesque imitation of the traditional Bavarian Castle, is completely fantastic looking at the background of tropical Heaven Trinidad. Unfortunately, all these buildings are closed to the public, but the appearance of the area does not suffer from this.
On the north side of Queen-Savanna-Park, separated from him only Secular Road, another green zone spread out – Empauer Velly Zoo, in which they are located, how to guess, Empauer-Vlyli Zoo (open daily from 9.30 to 18.00, entrance – TT $ 4 for adults and TT $ 2 for children from 3 to 12 years old) with the largest meeting of wild animals in the Caribbean region, Mansion President House (1876 g) and elegant Botanical Gardens (open daily from 6.00 to 18.00, free of charge) with one of the oldest assemblies of exotic plants in the Western Hemisphere. The main decorations of the district, the Cener-Claire includes his sports complex: Queen-Park-oval – the main platform for cricket on the island (from February to April there are many international competitions), the QRC complex for Cool-Clare Avenue, Saint-Meriz-Sport – Ground and green park King George-V.
Woodbrook extends to the west of the city center – the elegant area of the middle class. The lands in the lower course of the River Marava, where this area is now spread out, once belonged to the Siegert family (the creators of the famous "Angostura Bitters") Therefore, many streets still wear the names of this clan and are still built up with old buildings with wonderful stucco cornices, thin balustrades and carved forens. This is a safe and very pleasant area for a relaxing holiday, famous for green pyatchets of the quiet square of Siegert-Skue and Adam-Smith-Skue, the old cemetery of Lapetruz, the national stadium, several good restaurants and a handful of live nightclubs.
Founded by Indian immigrants in the nineteenth century, the district of Cent-James lies on the west of the city, and its streets are still carrying the names of their cities of its inhabitants. It is believed that the British for the first time landed on the coast of the island for the first time, and it was from here a small seam of marine infantry went to the assault of a well-fortified city of Port-of-Spain. As the locals say, it is the bravery and Uchards of those soldiers and caused the fact that in our days, Cent James is the most noisy place of the city, where neither the music and fun will fail at night. Here are also the main episodes of the celebration of the Islamic Holiday Hosai (the local version of the holiday in memory of Hussein, the grandson of the prophet) in May-June.
The main fortress of the island is located in the outskirts of the city – Fort George (1804-1826.) From the walls of which offers an excellent view of the port-Spain and easily distinguishable from here Mountain North Venezuela. In the Valley of the Diego Mountains, 16 km north of Port-of-Spacen, is one of the most beautiful water wheels of the island. And just an hour of ride to the south, the main environmental zone of the country – Carony and the same bird reserve. This is the only habitat of the scarlet Ibis – the national symbol of the island, as well as a house for 157 other varieties of birds, kaymans, snakes and silky musicals.