Cities of Spain: Logrono
The administrative center of La Rioja is the city of Logrono (Logrono) as part of the mosquito. The city is located in the northern part of the region, on the Ebro River, at an altitude of 384 meters above sea level. Logrono was founded by the Romans called the Varai approximately in the second century BC. NS. However, most likely the city as such began from the merge of the Varai, the Celtic settlement of Hrono ("ford") and the Roman shopping post Cantabria, whose ruins can still be seen in the city. In 1092, after many years of Arab dominion, the city was taken by the assault troops of Rodrigo Diaz de Vivara, better known as the LED Campador, and was almost completely destroyed. Three years later, Alfonso VI ordered to restore the city, and then gave him a new charter (became a model when creating laws of other Spanish cities), and over the next three centuries, Logrono quickly grows up to a large trade and religious center (in the XVII century, one of the centers was located here. Inquisition). In 1431, King Juan II Castilsky gives settlement of the status of the city, but only in 1982 he becomes the capital of La Riohi.
The main attractions of the city are the Gothic Cathedral of Santiago El Real (XVI in.) with a nearby equestrian statue of St. Ham (XVIII in.), San Bartolome Church, Santiago and Palacio (all – XVI-XVIII centuries.), Santa Maria de la Redorda Santa Cathedral (XVI-XVIII centuries.), Parliament of the province in a complex of a former tobacco factory, Bronze Fountain Fuente de la Gran Via, Mural-del Revellin complex, modern town hall, Del Mercado Square (it is here that the well-known night festivals Logrono are held), an excellent museum La Riohi (extensive collection of religious art) in the XVIII century mansion opposite the main post office, as well as many cozy parks.