Cities of Spain: Guadalajara
Guadalajara City Lies on the banks of the Enares River, 60 km north-east of Madrid. The exact date of the founding of the settlement is unknown, but the study of archaeologists suggest that the modern city is "Heir" Roman settlement Arryaka (translated from Iberian – "Stone river"), based on the site of the Iberian village in the second century BC. NS. However, the city itself was laid in the VIII century. NS. Arabs and called him Wadi Al-Ahara, which can be translated in the same way as the name of the Roman settlement. In 1085, Guadalajara was taken by the troops of the Castilian king Alfonso VI, in the 1460s received the status of the city and representation in Cortes, but in 1808 it was captured by the French army and was almost completely destroyed. In 1840, Guadalajara becomes the capital of the region, but continues to be a stabbed provincial town. Only after the Civil War 1936-1939., which caused a large damage to the city, Guadalajara was included in the national development plan and began rapid growth thanks to the part of industrial enterprises from Madrid here. As a result, for some 50 years, the city became the fastest growing industrial center of the country, turning from "The cheapest spot of Spain" In the third price of the country.
The sights of Guadalajara include the old Bridge Puente-Arab acres over the Enarent River (built by the Romans in I in. N. NS., Rebuilt by Arabs in the VIII – X BB. N. NS.), Ruins of the Alcazar fortress (VIII-XIV centuries.), Santa Maria La Major Santa Cathedral, or Santa Maria de la Fuente (XIV-XVII centuries.), Chapel of Kapilla de Luis de Lusien (XVI in.), Torreionon de Alvafenes and Puerta de Bechanka (Gate of the Oldest City Welcome, XIII in.), San Francisco Church (XII-XIII centuries.), Santiago (XIV in.), San Nicholas (XVII in.), Del Carmen (XVI in.), San Zhin (XVI in., The first Duke of Mendoz and his brother were buried here) and Nourera Senora de la Antigua, Town Hall (XIX in.) at Plaza Major, Monastery of Convention de la Piedad (XVI in.) and Church of Iglesia de Los Remedios (XVI in.). The most beautiful building of the city is the Palace of the Dukes Infantado, or Mendoz Palace (XV-XVIII centuries.) in which the provincial Museum of Guadalajara is now located. No less interesting Palace Melito (XVI in., Now here is a library), Arena Corrida Plaza de Toros, Church-Pantheon of the Duchess of Seville (1887-1916., It rests not only the duchess itself, but also other members of the ruling family), Palace of La Cotily (XVI in., Now there is a school of arts), as well as the Church and the Carmelitian Monastery of San Jose (1615 g.). A characteristic feature of urban architecture is a fairly simple appearance of many buildings and churches, which is only aggravated by rapidly growing everywhere with modern residential heights, but the interior decoration of old churches and castles is simply unique.
Reviews and studies of trips
Walking in three worlds, or in search of Spain: Guadalajara
Rarely visited by tourists town of Guadalajara, 50 minutes from Madrid, nevertheless, very mil and good for a half day trip. Alas and ah – once the glorious town, who was under the auspices of the Dukes of Mendoza, suffered greatly during the civil war in Spain and now there are no special cultural values of global scale there. But he is interesting in his own way. Read more →