Cities of Greece: Mistra
This is one of the most exciting and dramatic sites that Laconium tourist can offer. The fortress city was founded in 1249 by Giomee II Willarduen – the ruler of the Ahasey principality and the fourth prince of sea. However, in 1262, the Byzantines expelled francs from these places, and by the middle of the XIV century, this insulated triangle of the Earth in the Southeast Peloponnese becomes the last "Okrug" Byzantium itself on the territory of Eldlats, the main cultural and intellectual center of the region, managed by the son or brother of Constantinople Basiles. Only in 1460, that is, seven years after the fall of the capital of the Byzantine Empire, the last ruler of the city Demetrios Paleologist conveyed the keys from him Sultan Mehmet II. As a result, the city, which in the period of his heyday inhabited about 20 thousand people, was now well preserved and is a chaos of curly streets and alleys leading through a monumental gate to medieval buildings and palaces over which the domes of churches rise. In fact, it is a large museum of medieval architecture, painting and an open-air sculpture, in which you can only meet tourists – all hotels and cafes are concentrated in the nearby town of Neo Mistraces (on our maps just mistrace).
Now the territory of the Byzantine city (open daily: in the summer – from 8.00 to 20.00, in winter – from 8.00 to 14.00; 5 Euro) includes three main parts: Kato Choir ("Nizhny city") with the most beautiful churches, Ano Choir ("Upper city"), grouped around the extensive royal palace, and built by Franks Castro ("lock") in which only two roads lead. And the Pearls of the city are considered to be made of Ayia Sofia Church (1350 g., The former palace chapel) adjacent to her the monastery, the complex of the so-called palace of despot (1249-1400., Currently, an extensive reconstruction is being conducted), the fortified gate of Nafplio (the main entrance to the upper city) and Monemvasia (associate the upper and lower part of the city), Church of Odikeitri (AFENDIKO, 1310 g.) and Panayia-langadiotis (cave), Monasteries of Pandanas, Perivlepletos, Varondohion, Phanami and Panayia-Zayun (all – XIII-XV centuries.), the ruins of the Byzantine mansion of the Palaks ("Little Palace", 1250-1300.), a number of rich mansions and decorated with infertility frescoes a large building of Ayos-Nikolaos (XVIII in.).
Metropolis Main Cathedral, lying near Monemvasia Gate, is the oldest of the city’s temples (built between 1270 and 1292 at the first paleologist). And the Church of the Women’s Monastery of Pandanas ("Queen of Mira", 1428.) is so unique in its architecture, and most importantly – the style of painting that David Talbot rice in his classical labor "Byzantine art" Posted about her frescoes: "Only El Greco in the West and later Gaudi will be able to use colors as a bold way". However, by half embedded in the rock the only church of the Monastery of Perivleplepotos (1310 g.) has even more complete iconography of Byzantine style.