Cities of France: Tour
The capital of the Endre and Loire Department – the ancient city of Tours (Tours) is considered the main city of Loire Valley.
It was founded approximately in the II century BC. NS. As a shopping post of the Gallian tribe of travels at the mouth of the Sher’s river, but after the winning of Gaul Romans is renamed to the Cesenum. Due to its advantageous strategic location, it quickly becomes one of the richest cities of the Empire, and with the arrival of Christianity turns into an important religious center. In the IV century, Martin Turovsky became Archbishop, he later received the status of saint, whose grave in Saint-Martin church is one of the pilgrim centers in Europe. And the victory of Martella over the Moors (732 g.) that occurred at the walls of the city, turned it into an important political center. In 1461, Louis IX even transfers the capital of France to the tour, and Heinrich III in 1583 moves here and Parliament, and only Heinrich IV (1589-1610.) Retailed the capital to Paris. As a result, the city acquired many unique architectural complexes, which are his business cards and nowadays. Even serious destruction caused by the events of both world wars were rapidly liquidated, and now the tour is one of the most elegant cities in France.
The historic center of the city lies between the Luar and the mouth of her tributary – the river Cher, forming a compact triangle of old quarters. From the Roman city preserved Ruins of serfs, Fragments Amphitheater, term and Forum (In the XIII century, the rapidly growing tour excused an antique caesinum, so many Roman buildings were simply embedded in later monuments). In the center there is a lot of so characteristic of the region of half-timbered mansions, among which are especially allocated House Tour-Charleman, Palace of bishop (IX B.) with elements of the walls of Gallo-Roman fortifications (now there is a museum of elegant arts) and Saint-Julian Abbey with the church of the same name.
In the old quarter, a lot of unusual collections are concentrated – Museum of wine, Museum crafts and even Museum of stained glass. But the main landmark and pride of the tour is the cathedral Saint Gatien Cathedral (XIII-XVI centuries.), built in amazingly organic Gothic style (even clearly renaissance bell tower do not spoil his appearance). The interior decoration of the Cathedral in which the latest representatives of the Valua dynasty are resting and are located the majestic La Psalt cloud and magnificent stained glass windows. On the other side of the cathedral, between Rue Albert-Thomas and the river are towering Two towers – Everything that has survived from the ancient royal castle of the tour, but a little further on the embankment can be seen Residence governor and fragments of Gallo-Roman Walls of Cesainunum, On the other hand, adjacent all the same Palace of Bishop.
West, in the chaos of narrow streets around PluumeReau Square (the townspeople call it just a dance-plume), you can find the most interesting old mansions, carefully restored and surrounded by dozens of cozy cafes. At the crossroads of Briconnet streets and du Murier is located Museum of stained glass (Opened from April to mid-October – from Thursday to Sunday, from 10.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00; From mid-October to March – on Saturday and Sunday, from 10.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00; Entrance – 5.4 euros) with masterpieces of both ancient masters, and more modern work, signed Dufi, Modigliani and Picasso. South begins the so-called Martinopolis – Pilgrimage Quarter, concentrated around Saint-Martin Basilica (XIX.) in which the relics of St. Martin rest. Bully below Rue Des Halles is a huge Modern market – Excellent place to observe the daily life of citizens, especially in the morning, when they are going here, as it seems, all housewives of the city.
Just a couple of quarters from the river is the Benedictine Church of Cen-Julien, In the complex of which there are already two exhibitions – Museum of wine (open daily, except Thursday, from 9.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00; entrance – 4.2 euros) and occupying board (XI in.) and the bedroom of the monks (XVI in.) Museum Companionzh (Opened from mid-June to mid-September daily, with 9.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00; From mid-September to mid-June closed on Thursdays; EUR ENDERN EUR) dedicated to very characteristic for France "The cult of artisan". A few steps to the West rises the Renaissance Facade of Hotel Gouin, inside which quite a little interesting Museum of Archeology and History. And south, near the grand complex Town Hall and Palace of Justice, Each weekend opens a stunning flower market, quite capable of competing a competition of Prouur de Saint-Kosh monastery (3 km west of the city center), whose garden roses deservedly is considered one of the most beautiful sights of the tour.
Around the city
V Lusso (Lussault, 5 km west of the tour) located giant Aquarium Val de Luar WWW.AquariumDuvalDeloire.COM with 10 thousand fish from all over the planet, turtles, alligators and transparent tunnel passing through a large shark pool. 13 km west of the tour can be seen classic castle Villalandry www.Chateauvillandry.COM (XII-XVI in.) With its amazing gardens, and another 10 km west – Lange’s town (Langeais) with an equally well-known castle of the same name, in which the wedding of Charles VIII and Anna Bretenon took place in 1491.
Lying down just below and on the other side of the river village Aze-le-Rido It can boast a formidable fortress adorning the island in the middle of the Endre River (Indre), the old bridge and the famous Church of Saint-Simphoryen (XII-XIV centuries.) whose facade is decorated with statues of carroling times. In addition, the limestone cliffs of Aze-le-Rido are literally permeated with dozens of caves, many centuries used as warehouses, wine cellar and even residential buildings. And the extensive underground complex Lez-Gupil (3 km from the village), cut down in soft tuffs, even got his own name "Valley Trokloditov" www.Troglodytedesgoupillieres.FR and serves as the most popular tourist attraction of the region. And at the mouth of the Endra rushes Castle Dusea (XV B.) with white towers and terrace gardens (it is believed that it was he who was the prototype of a fabulous castle in the classic work of Charles Perro "sleeping Beauty").
Reviews and studies of trips
Castles Loire and Chartia for the company
Route Trips: Paris – Blois – Schomon – Shambor – Tour – Villalandry – Azey Le Rido – Yussse – Shinon – Somur – Again Round – Amboise – Clo-Luce – Schononso – SHEVERNI – Paris read more →