Cities of Bermuda: Saint George
In the Far Northeast end of the Island of the same name, on the shore of Saint George Harbor’s extensive bay, there is an old colonial capital of Bermud – Cent George, founded in 1612. This is one of the oldest capitals of British colonies and one of the colorful cities of the New World. In December 2000, Saint George was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. His old quarters, narrow curly lanes and historical buildings, built more than three centuries ago, attract the attention of thousands of tourists from all over the world. The city is literally immersed in the charm of the period of great geographical discoveries, as far as it is a place that was the second British settlement in the new world.
The main sights of the city belong to the middle of the XVIII century. The heart of the city is considered to be lying in the very center of King Sque (Royal Square), on which the City Town Hall is located (1782 g) and "pillory", Near whose public actions of criminals condemnation, as well as the Central Tour Burero of the Countries and the State Residence (XVII-XVIII centuries.). The residence itself, which local residents are called simply "Buckingham", It was built in 1620, by the middle of the XVIII century, the surrounding structures appeared, and the kitchen wing was attached at the beginning of the XIX in. Almost 200 years have met the country’s parliamentarians (the last time the meeting was held on December 24, 1814), there were reserves of powder in case of siege, the courthouse was located here and noisy balls were arranged. Today, the residence complex is considered one of the oldest British structures in the new world. To the north of the square lies Somers Garden ("Garden Somers"), named so in honor of Admiral Somers, who literally "left his heart" On Bermudah – his dust (or rather – only the heart, the body is buried in England) is buried in a modest grave in the park.
South King Sque is the island of Ordnance Island, associated with the city of Little Bridge. Here is the exact copy of the vessel "Deliverance", Which sailed from the islands in 1610 to the rescue of settlers in Virginia, as well as the statue of Sir Somers work Desmond Foundayne. Nearby you can find the majestic building of the Bermud National Trust Museum (WWW.BNT.BM), dedicated to the role of the islands in the US Civil War (the building itself is dated 1700 g, during the Civil War there were offices of American officials). The Museum of the Heritage Bermud (discovered in 1998) deserves attention with the exposition on the history of the black population of the islands. And the east of King Squa extended a whole series of historical buildings in a British colonial style.
Another city center – Church of Cent-Peters Cherch (1612-1713.) – The oldest church of the islands, besides, standing on the foundation of the oldest Anglican Church in the Western Hemisphere. Church as if "Sitted" From the inside the game of sunlight on wooden walls, decorated with marble steles installed on the means of the island’s governors. Also located here is the famous altar of a mahogany, which is the oldest sample of local "Furniture", as well as an extensive collection of historical documents and silver products. Behind the church, old residential neighborings were spread with a large number of impressive colonial buildings like White Hall (1815 g) or Stewart Hall (1778 g), as well as somewhat more modest, but not less remarkable buildings like Broad-Ellie Cottage (XVIII cent) , Bridge House (1708 g) or Old Rector (1699 g, one of the first buildings on the island with a stone roof). And in Stewart Hall is located one of the oldest perfume companies of the Western Hemisphere – Bermuda Parfühmy, producing fragrant products from 1928 (the factory has a small museum).
The historic Museum of Cent George, the Takcker House (1775 g) House Museum (1775 g) is also popular with a magnificent collection of family silver, porcelain and ancient furniture from the collection of one of the most respected families on the islands, the Vermont Museum (the building was built in 1710 and is a unique example of early Gregorian architecture), Somerset Bridge Bridge (1620 g) and the so-called "Unfinished church" on Kent Street, which began to build in 1870, but did not bring construction to the end. Nearby lies an extensive herbal area used by residents of the city under picnics, as well as St. David Lighthouse (1879 g), towering above sea level by 85 meters.
Around the coast near the city the chain of forts stretches, which once defended Bermuda from invasion of invaders. Gates Fort (Fort Devels) was built in 1620 over the Strait of the Town Cat-Chennel and still retained on his territory Gaupvatahta (XVIII c) and two large-caliber guns. Fort Catherine was built in 1614 and has repeatedly expanded in the XVIII-XIX centuries. Now it is one of the most well-preserved forts of the country. Fort Burn-Point was founded in 1688 to protect the Western approaches to the Harbor of Cent George from enemy ships and pirates, and Fort Ferry Island was just the coastal battery, but by 1877 turned into a real fortress.