Belorussia city: Grodno
The first mention of it is found in the Ipatiev Chronicles (1128 g), and at the beginning of the XII century it is already the center of the specific principality and a major trading city on the Western Rui Rabes. In the middle of the XIII century, Grodno is part of the Lithuanian principality, then for some time again listed in the composition of Galico-Volynsky, and at the beginning of the XIV century it is part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuanian. Already by the XV century, Grodno turns into the largest shopping center of the country, starting from the XVI century, the residence of Lithuanian princes is located here, and then the Polish kings. Many buildings and structures are built intensively, special attention is paid to trading areas and the Grodno citadel, spreading in the fall of the Gardening River to Neman.
To this day, despite numerous wars, hung on the territory of this land, Grodno reached the most picturesque city of Belarus. Magnificent Catholic and Orthodox churches, monasteries and museums form the appearance of the old part of the city, attracting numerous travelers. The program of dating with the city is required to enter the old (XII-XIX centuries.) and new (1751 g) castles, the August Palace (1773-1778.), the ruins of the top (XIV-XV centuries.) And the lower (XII c) churches, referred to in the Ipatiev Chronicles of the Year Borisoglebskaya (Cleaner, XII c) Church – the second in Belarus, the church of the Virgin of the Virgin and the Basilian Monastery, the Church of the finding of the Holy Cross and Monastery of Bernardians (1595-1618.), Far Church of St. Francis Xavarya (1678) with Tisengauz’s grave, Franciscan Church (1635 g), Brigitsky Church with residential buildings (1634-1642.), Pharmacy Building (1709 g), Stanislavovskaya Manor (1760-1780.), literally saturated with the buildings of the XVIII century district "City", House Vice-Governor Maximovich (XIX C), Fire Calancha (XIX C), Martin Chapel (1848 g), Pokrovsky Cathedral (1904-1905.), Kirya (XX century, now is the Department of Local Lore Museum) and Synagogue (XIX century).
Also in Grodno you can visit many museums – the historical and archaeological museum of the religion history in the newly renovated Palace of the XVIII century, the Grodno Museum or Maxim Bogdanovich Museum, walk along the Soviet street – the beloved holiday destination with a lot of shops and cafes, relax in an extensive green park in South End of Soviet or visit the Grodno Zoo.
Reviews and studies of trips
70 miles north
Our path lies in the neighboring Grodno region. First stop, after 25 kilometers of the way, in the city settlement. It’s still a Baranovichi district. Read more →
Mrmineika | June 2015
Belarus – recognition in love. Manor Svyatsk, Grodno Forts, Lipician Forest
Moved to the side of the house with a check in all sorts of interesting places. At first, Svyatsk’s estate looked at the estate – this is a small village near Grodno. But there we were waiting for a real palace with a park. Read more →
tata lind | Spring 2016
Trip to Belarus. Grodno
In both castles there is an exposition of the Grodno Historical and Archaeological Museum. The exposition of which was not particularly impressed – the usual local lore Museum of Soviet type, which one hundreds read more →