Belorussia City: Brest

The legendary Brest, with whose name, so much events in history and Belarus and Russia are connected, which is hardly any other city can be compared with it for this indicator, lies in the western part of the country, in the interfluve of Western Bug and Mohavts.

The first mention of bastard, as was then called this settlement of Dregovich, is found in "Tale of temporary years" 1019 G. In the XI century, this is already a major trading and transport center, the largest settlement of the Berestek land and a large fortress (the first wooden stronghold is built here in the XII B). Since the XIV century, Brest is part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuanian and is widely known as a major trading and administrative center, the first among Belarusian cities received self-government (1390 g). By the XVI century, Brest turns into one of the largest cities of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, here is built here on the territory of the country typography and printed "Brest Bible", Monasteries and fraternal schools are opened, there is even his mint and customs. However, during the bloody wars of the XVII century, the city was almost completely destroyed, starting his revival only in the second half of the XVIII century. In 1795. Brest-Litovsk, together with other Western Belarusian lands, is part of the our Empire and after the war of 1812, it is transferred to 2 km east, and in its place the construction of a powerful system of fortification structures is beginning, solemnly open on April 26, 1842.

Sights Brest

Modern glory to the city brought defenders of the Brest Fortress. Located during the confluence of Bug and Mohavts, the Brest Fortress by 1941 has already lost all its strategic importance, but its tiny garrison under the leadership of. M. Gavrilova, I. N. Zubacheva and E. M. Fomina detained a German offensive at how much months, Javils the example of the courage and heroism of ordinary soldiers of different peoples of the USSR. The fortress was practically destroyed and now turned into a grand memorial to its defenders. In 1965, the Brest Fortress was awarded the title "Fortress hero" With the presentation of the Order of Lenin and Medals "Golden Star".

To the west of the fortress lies a partially destroyed Nikolaev Church, the oldest in the city. Once being part of the Big Monastery, she also suffered from the shelling in the siege of the fortress. Other sights of the city – Massive Nikolaev Cathedral (1856-1879.), Railway station (1886 g.), Nikolaev fraternal church (1904-1906.), Cathedral of the Cathedral Simon (1865-1868.), Crossed church (1856 g.), Resurrection Church (1995-1998.), as well as beautiful city museums – Archaeological Museum (built on the ruins of the craft quarter of the XIII century and has an excellent historical exposition), Museum "Borsere" (excavations of the settlement, XI-XIII centuries.), Urban museum (opened in 1928) and the memorial complex of the Brest Fortress (1971.).

Around Brest

Cities of Belarus Brest

There are also many interesting places around Brest – Memorial Sign and Museum of Tadeous Kostyshko and the ruins of the majestic castle of Count Puslovsky (1838 g) in Kosovo, Wooden George Church (1790 g.) in Alba, Monastery of Franciscansev (XVIII century), collegium of the monastery of Jesuit (1631-1635.) and Karl Baromeus Church (1770-1782.) in Pinsk, Trinity Church (1583 g. – One of the oldest monuments of Belarusian stone architecture) in Chernavchitsi, unique "White fag" (White Tower, 1271-1288.) in Kamenets, Wooden St. George Church (1724 g) in David-Town, Assumption Church (1740-1746.) in Tableov, Wooden Church of Paraskeva Friday (1884 g) in Berezhny, dated already 1472, Troitsky Church in Ishkti, Pokrovsky Cathedral (1924-1931.) in Baranovichi, Cathedral Alexander Nevsky (1857-1880.) and the Church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin Mary (XX C) in Pruzhany, Trinity Church (1733 g) in Wolchine, Ruins of the Castle and Church in High, Postal Station (XIX c) in Nekhechevo, Ruins of Sapegy Palace (XVIII c) and several chosets in Rujans, house-museum A.V.Suvorov (XVIII B) and the Wooden Church of St. Nicholas (1750 -1841.) in Kobrin, as well as many other historical sites.

Reviews and studies of trips

Brest, empty spaces

Literally two steps from the front street of Lenin at the first line of houses begins the unique area of ​​Polish mansions. Read more →

You might also enjoy:

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.

*

code