Cities of Austria: St. Pölten
The capital of the land of Lower Austria is St. Pölten (Sankt P&# 246; LTEN) – the oldest city of the country and the youngest capital of the federal land (in 1986 he changed on it "post" Vein).
- Rathausplatz in St. Poiten
- Herrenplatz in St. Poiten
It was founded in the times of the Roman Empire as the Fort Elium Century, in the VIII century, the Benedictine Abbey of St. Ippolite (in German Sankt Polten) with surrounding pans turns into a convenient transshipment point on the River Trèsen, and by the XII century this is a major city and famous cult center.
Old town extends around Rathausplatz Square with town hall XIV century, Column of Holy Trinity (1782 G.) and nearby Franciscan church (1768 G.) Rococo style. However, the historical core is still somewhat south, around Domplatz and Cathedral, originally built in the middle of the XIII century as the church of the abbey of neighboring Augustin monastery (repeatedly rebuilt until the XVIII in.). Pretty strict appearance of the cathedral hides under him beautiful baroque interiors created by Jacob Prandtauer, issued in the first half of the XVIII century and the famous abbey gloss.
- Riemerplatz in St. Poiten
- Concert Hall Festspielhaus
- City Park
Not far from the Town Hall Square, in the complex of the monastery of Carmelite, is located good City Museum, And a little further on the hess Strasse there is an exhibition complex with a difficult-to-name name Dokumentationszentrum Fur Moderne Kunst www.Noedok.AT (widely known for its rather unusual "Decoration" – Czech fighter MiG-21, standing in one of the courtyards) and an excellent historical museum AM-Hof (Museum am HOF). South, on Linzer Strasse, the masterpiece of the Baroque style rises – Institut Der Englischen Fraulein (Also known as the Institute of Virgin Mary) with a tiny church Institurcha, Which is part of a religious order founded by the British Catholic Monk and Women’s Pioneer Mary Vard.
Located southeast of the city center, old synagogue (DR-KARL-RENNER-PROMENADE 22) also deserves attention as a sample of late Yuggentille (1912 g.) Now there is a place for the Institute of History of Austrian Jews, which is also used as a place of various meetings and festivals. And a little further along the left bank of the traizen, the southeast of the city center, modern quarters of the business and administrative center of the Lower Austria are already visible – Landhead (Landhausviertel, also known as REGIERUNGSVIERTEL) with its glass towers and shopping quarters. The newest building here is built in 2002 Museum of Lower Austria www.Landesmuseum.NET, which is often used as the main artistic and historical gallery of the region.
Around the city
Also worth a visit Palace Pottenbrun (6 km northeastern city) with a collection of medieval cups, Palace Shanlaburg, Museum of Contemporary Art in Barochny Palace Carmeliterhof, Museum of Episcopata Bishofshof, Abbey Herzohenburg (Herzogenburg, XIII-XVI centuries., 10 km north of the city) and Cistercian Monastery Lilienfeld (1202 g., 20 km south).
- Church at Pottenbrun Palace
- Interior decoration of the monastery of Lilienfeld
- Chief entrance to Shanlaburg
- Basilica in the town of Mariacel
St. Pölten is the starting point of the exciting narrow-chain railway Mariazellerbahn, which leads from the city station to the town located already on the territory of Styria Mariacel (Mariazell), which is a popular pilgrimage center.