Cities in Germany: Potsdam
The capital of the federal land Brandenburg, the most beautiful city of Hafeldine and one of the most beautiful cities in Germany, Potsdam (Potsdam) lies in 24 kilometers of the southwest center of Berlin.
Founded by Slavs allegedly in the 10th century (then he was called), in 1660 he becomes a hunting residence of Friedrich Wilhelm I and quickly turns into the main place of residence of the Penglish royal family. Since then, the construction of palaces and parks in this picturesque area between the Khafel River, the TEMPLINER SEE lakes, Teefer See (Tiefer See), Jungferne, Hueliger Ze (Heiliger See), Farlander-Ze, Rubrove (Sacrower See), GRIEBNITZSEE and Groser Vanze (about 20 reservoirs!) almost continuously passed until the end of the XIX century. The town quickly acquired glory "German Windsora", Where to flock aristocratic families from all over Europe. However, on April 14, 1945, the bombardment of the allies almost erased the bombardment of the Allies almost erased the town from the face of the Earth, leaving almost intact only the castles in which the historical Potsdam Conference was held from July 17 to August 2, and almost all parks and bridges. And in 1990-1991, a carefully renovated complex of 20 palaces and gardens entered the list of UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The most famous attraction of Potsdam and at the same time a symbol of the city is San Sousi Palace (Schloss Sanssouci) with an adjacent poker to him. Built between 1745 and 1747, a complex, often called "Penglish Versalem", is a unique sample of the European court architecture of the XVIII century. A business card of San Sousi – Terraces, once broken to grow grapes, and now represent an unusual landscape park, 132 steps of which can be climbed from sculptural groups at the entrance and a large fountain to the palace itself lying on the top of the hill. It was essentially a small private residence, after World War II, he was turned into a museum, which is now and is.
West of the palace towers New Chamber (Neue Kammern), conceived as a greenhouse, and then turned into a guest house. To the east – trimmed by Siena Marble Picture gallery (Bildergalerie, the first building in Europe, originally built as a museum) with the meeting of the works of Italian and Dutch masters of the XVII century. A literally literally permeated with galleries and covered alleys literally permeated with lights, which gives the complex a unique appearance. Around the palace is somewhat quite noticeably different from the park zones – Dutch garden, North Sad, Sicilian garden other. There is even Old wooden windmill north of the new chamber, greenhouse and a small botanical garden near. From the western wing of a greenhouse direct as Krimlindenallee Arrow leads to the Belveder in the Rococo style – the last building built in Friedrich Great, and the only seriously damaged during the Second World War. And then you can go down to the former Drachenhaus mansion, built in the style of Chinese pagoda and now used as a cafe. And the south-west of him the trail leads to the dome Rotunda AntiKentempel, built in 1768 to accommodate antiques from the Personal Assembly of the Emperor, and now that is a necropolis of members of the Imperial Family (Friedrich himself rests under a modest slab next to his palace).
New palace (Neues Palais) was erected in 1763-1769 in the western part of San Susta Park as a place of official receptions and to commemorate the victory of Prussia in a seven-year (third Silesian) War. In size it is noticeably superior to the old palace quite modest in this plan, but almost never lived. His majestic interiors with famous GROTTENSAAL and Marmorsaal halls are now taking a meeting of the Italian painters of the XVII century, and the Court Theater of the XVIII century still retained all its atmosphere. You can go through the reindeer Park (Rehgarten, there are still a few of these animals here) to the Palace and Park Charlottenhof (Charlottenhof), created in 1825-1829 by Friedrich Wilhelm III as a Christmas gift for his son, and today is considered one of the quietest San Sousi.
Also within the complex can be detected Roman term (Romische Bader, 1829-1840.) east of Palace Charlottenhof, Orangehouse Palace (ORANGERIESCHLOSS UND TURM, 1864.) in the style of the Italian Renaissance in the Northern Park, Tea Pavilion (Teepavillon, 1830.), Garden house (Gartnerhaus, 1829-1830.) and House of Sadovnik Gartnergehilfenhaus, 1832 g.) in italian style, Chinese tea house (Chinesisches Teehaus, 1757.) in the form of a triller – now here is a small museum of Chinese and Maissen Porcelain, famous for its Byzantine mosaic of the XII century and the tomb of Friedrich Wilhelm IV Church Fredenskire (Friedenskirche, 1848.) in the garden garde, Grotty Neptune, pavilion Freundshaftstempel (Freundschaftstempel, 1759 g.) And the ensemble of artificial ruins on the mountain Ruinenberg.
In the town itself also a lot of interesting – Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus, 1755 g.), Church of St. Nicholas (1837 g.), Lustgarten, building Higher Special School Potsdama, Church of St. Nicholas (Nikolaikirche, 1837 g. – The last work of Charles Friedrich Shinkel) and the Museum of Cinema on Square Alter Markt (Potsdam’s historic center); French church (Franzosische Kirche, 1750 g.), House of Brandenburg-Penglish history and Cabinethaus on a beautiful baroque square Neue Markt (XVII-XVIII centuries.); Gate Fortuna (Fortunaportal – all that remained from destroyed by bombardments in the 1945th of the Royal Palace of 1662 buildings); Fragments of the old urban wall – Brandenburg Gate (1770 g.) on the square Luisenplatz Western entrance to the old town, Small brandenburg (1755 g.) and Hunting gate (Jägertor, 1733 g.); Coloring houses of the XIX century Alpine style in the northeast area Klein Hlinika (Klein Glienicke); Negotic Naiangic gate (Nauner Tor, 1755.) and Church of Peter and Paul (XVIII B.) In Colority , Dutch Quarter (Holländisches Viertel, 1734-1742.); our colony Aleksandrovka (Russische Kolonie Alexandrowka, 1826-1827., Included in UNESCO World Heritage List) with Museum and Alexander Nevsky Temple on Mount Capellenberg.
Also deserve attention to the lying little east, in the new garden (Neuer Garten, 1786.), famous Palace Cecilienhof (Cecilienhof) – the venue of the Potsdam Conference of 1945, nearby Marble Palace (Marmorpalais, 1789.) classic style and tropical botanical garden Biosphare Potsdam; Weavsky Quarter, Church of Friedrichskirhe, Film Studio UFA (Babelsberg Studios, Filmstudio Babelsberg – the oldest in the world), Park and Palace Babelsberg (1834-1849.) in the area of the same name in the east of the city; Palace and Sad Lindshtedt (Schloss LindStatt, 1858-1860.) in the western district of Burschtedt, as well as ALBERT EINSTEIN SCIENCE PARK with a number of scientific institutions, observatory and tower on the mountain Telegraphenberg in the south of Potsdam.
How to get to Potsdam
Potsdam is included in the Tarifbeereich C tariff zone (Tarifbereich c) of Berlin’s public transport, so it is not possible to get a job here, it is not possible to use the S7 S-Bahn railway line or reach by car on any of the tracks extending in the south-west direction from Berliner Ring.